Thread: Town made in Artrage

Default Town made in Artrage

I've been testing a program called Artrage for a couple of days (After a tip from Torstan here on the site). It is a drawing program that let you use different tools like watercolour, oil paint, ink pens etc to make drawings. The program is really great and here is a very quick map of a small village I made while trying to learn the program. It really feels like it has a lot of potential, but most of all it is really fun to use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	by test.jpg 
Views:	562 
Size:	182.2 KB 
ID:	48564  
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

The watercolour brush in Artrage looks pretty nice. What are the pen brushes like?

Guild Member Facebook Connected Kolyana's Avatar

Well that looks interesting! Color me intrigued.

The watercolour brush in Artrage looks pretty nice. What are the pen brushes like?
    I must say I like all The tools I've tried so far. If you're interested in testning The program There's a demo on their homepage. That's what I've been using so far.
    My finished maps

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    It looks great. What is the biggest size document you can use before it starts really slowing down?
    Honestly I don't know. I tried to start a drawing that was 6000px X 4000px and that worked fine. The watercolour though had some problems when you started to mix colours. But as long as you don't work too quick it seems to work.
    The system I have is a 3,4 Ghz AMD processor and 16 GB of RAM, and I'm using 64 bit Win 7.
    My finished maps

Wow that sounds good. the watercolours on Painter seriously start slowing down on my machine when I get to over 3,000 px square.

2.95 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad
    Multi-core (4 total)

8 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 [Display adapter] (2x)

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's looking really nice!

I've been using my copy of Artrage 2 that came with my new bamboo but it doesn't have watercolour or ink pen brushes so I assume the demo you are using is version 3. Your test results turned out much nicer than mine.

One nice thing I noticed while using it and I assume this carries over into version three - when you start drawing near a tool/info/swatch/layer window/gump, it automatically "vanishes" so you can draw underneath it, and reappears when you stop drawing. Also it has a rotate canvas function like SAI does. I wish photoshop had that (have they added that to versions above CS3?)

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Yes, you can spin the canvas in newer photoshop versions. You can even do it by using a two-finger spin on a mac trackpad, which is really, really handy.