Thread: Nameless water heavy world map.

Map Nameless water heavy world map.

Hello everyone. This map is about 2 days of work, learning as I go to make mountains/forests/terrain effects and so on via Youtube, guy named ZombieNirvana along with things I've figured out already in PS. From frosted conifer trees and mountains to hilly dry deserts with empty river beds, to lush lake filled forests/plains and islands isolated in the middle of nowhere.. Along with a large ice sheet, tried to give it interesting terrain. The ocean is textured but I appear to have made it too fine to easily see, can see it on zoom though. Enjoy? I will probably be doing more like this one I learn a bit more here and there. Sorry for the smallish size and jpg, the PNG was over 14mb had to resize it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unnamed World Map.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	3.62 MB 
ID:	48541

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It looks like you have a good start. There are (always) some things that you could work on such as the "stroke" around the landmasses is a bit heavy and cut off in areas. The arctic landmass is well dome but could use some "blending" so that it doesn't look like it is just sitting on top of the northern landmass. Overall it's a great start. Have some rep
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

thanks! yeah I fiddled with the stroke for hours, and alternated between destroying my moutnains to inversions and weird affects, I think I got a bit too happy with the transformation tools and so on, but it was a fun learning exercise.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RolandRedJack View Post
    thanks! yeah I fiddled with the stroke for hours, and alternated between destroying my moutnains to inversions and weird affects, I think I got a bit too happy with the transformation tools and so on, but it was a fun learning exercise.
    And THAT is all that matters If your interested HERE is a great tutorial for creating landmasses. It requires GIMP and Wilbur but both are free downloads.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

great tutorial! even if its not exactly for PS, all kinds of info is great to read about, "The More you know!" and all that

Blog Entries

Sorry about that I missed the part where you said you were using PS. GIMP and Photoshop are very similar (with Photoshop being just a bit more powerful) but since you already have PS HEREs another tut for you.

Finished Maps

Dang, thats cool. I'm starting-restarting a new map as of yesterday lol. Really playing with the difference clouds/clouds feature to see what sort of control I have over it, and trying to figure out how to clean up/smooth over some of the sometimes oddly jagged/floating edges it creates

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Tone down the colors.