Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almost finished Parchment style map, Need Guides

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected daeVArt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip Almost finished Parchment style map, Need Guides

After Finished My 1st map, I’ve Decided to create another map with different style, using Jezelf parchment map Tutorial, and lil bit my Imagination, It’s took at least 4 day to get this result (perhaps more since this was my 1st Map Project Actually, but changed due to confusion on tutorial before).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	north_wind_continent__wip__by_daevart-d5fkwp1.jpg 
Views:	5838 
Size:	3.43 MB 
ID:	48547

Well, I REALLY want to ask you, if anything from my map look’s Bad?, so maybe I can Change, or did something Missing?, so I can add some more detail. Perhaps, you think I need to remove something due to Error?. How About the labeling? Maybe i need to change the font, or resize, change position?
    Your Comment, Feedback, and Critique are really Appreciated.

Thanks
    -daeVArt

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Klaus van der Kroft's Avatar

Oooh, I love it! I really like how the elements fade into the background. Reminds me of the good old PC game manual maps that I used to enjoy so much. You, good sir, get some rep right this moment.

Only two things I'd change:

-The scale seems too sharp in comparison with the rest of the map. Perhaps smudging it a bit or using a less precise font would make it look more in line with the rest.

-Some of the names in red are a bit hard to read, such as the one left of the Crystal Cavern.

Other than that, a fine piece indeed!

Blog Entries

Thank you so much Klaus, Ah right, I'm almost forget The Scale Bar (you mention the Scale Bar right? I'm newbie >.< ) will refine the Scalebar Right away ^^

also for the label, I'll try to change overall Region Label font, because Cartograph font was too small, and thick.. thanks for pointing out that...

Thanks alot for the Rep ^^

Sincerely
    -daeVArt

Not a real point of criticism, only a pet peeve: perhaps you should change the white labels to a different colour. If you consider that a "parchment map" is usually painted / printed with ink on parchment, you might notice that it is quite difficult to get white ink / paint.

This looks really good. I kind of like the white labels. I think you were using StarRaven's brushes for this map? You might want to consider rubbing out those lines which should be 'behind' an object, like a tree or mountain but are showing through. It will make the map easier on the eye and less like it has been made with brushes. I think JF Frazier made a good tutorial about how to avoid this problem when using PS brushes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tree.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	48554  

Blog Entries

@Freodin, Thanks alot for pointing it out, I've just change overall font size and type... I'll change the color as well (btw that was white colored label with overlay setting ^^, so it'll blend nicely with the background, but not with another overlayed layer). Thank you

@ravells, ah right, Silly me didnt notice little thing. and yes I use starraven's brush. I'll check the tutorial... Thanks alot ^^

-daeVArt

Blog Entries

Btw, Just Finish Refine The region Called Eiclye Isle, And more to come.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	North-wind-continent-refine.png 
Views:	1443 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	48562

+ Organize the font type for several purpose, the land, the town, sigil, ocean. other
    + Scale a bit the Content (mountain, city, forest)
    + fix the font color, blending, size, and type

-daeVArt

Very cool style, i like it. Now if we only had the map in a higher resolution...so as to be able to zoom in more

Have some Rep.!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Blog Entries

thanks Eilathen, the original size of the map was 2700 x 1800 with 300 ppi. My computer cant handle much more resolution, >.< too slow for me .

That's pretty cool!

One thing I see that hasn't been mentioned is the 'frozen lake' (sorry, I can't read the word above it, but that's not my point). Instead of greying/lightening the area, you might do better to just outline the lake with your ink brush. Another 'white-on-parchment' thing.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast