Thread: my first decent map

Map my first decent map

this is as hinted above my first "real" map. it would be nice to get some feed back:)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old paper map hallashom.jpg 
Views:	1689 
Size:	4.69 MB 
ID:	49497

Hey Pippin, good start to map making, here's just a few pointers from what I'm seeing.

- You put a lot of work on the trees, if I were you I'd switch more effort onto your buildings, trees should be more organic and less lined in while the buildings could use some.
    - The water lines you have all over the sea should be a bit subtler and draw less of the eyes attention.
    - And tone down the edge cracks a bit, it's a little crazy.

Keep up the good work!
    -Terry

thanks for the pointers
    btw the trees took no time at all seeing as they were just a pattern the longest thing was setting all the effects up.
    Last edited by pippin369; 10-29-2012 at 11:10 PM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks good. I'd agree with Aerius about the buildings. Adding roof lines to them would go a long way as a bit of shadow. Your trees are great but a bit "saturated" make them a little less bright and well defined and your on your way. Also I have to agree with Aerius about the "torn parchment" effect. A little there goes a long way. Overall this is very nice. Keep up the good work and have some rep.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

i take it you've been watching the Fantasy Cartography with Photoshop series? its a good start, and keep going with it.
    >>< drow ><<

yes i have and would a rasterized cloud effect (as a mask) work for torn edges. anything that looks better would work.

I still haven't fixed jp the torn edges but i toned down the water, trees and detailed a FEW buildings what do you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old paper map hallashom.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	4.69 MB 
ID:	49540

This looks like a great example of a map that you could hand out to your players. Nice job.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh