Hey all. I'm currently trying to make some video tutorials in response to the request for tutorials on some of my techniques for the Bandit Camp battlemat. Someone here (can't remember the post) had suggested using CamStudio for the screen capture and then transcoding using MediaCoder. But I'm having issues... So for those of you that are familiar with the software, here goes:

I'm having problems transcoding the AVI files that CamStudio creates. There is a color shift.

It does not seem to matter which codec or container I output to. So far I have tried transcoding other AVI files as well as some WMVs which all work fine. I have also tried 3 different versions of MediaCoder on 2 different PCs; one with XP, the other with Vista. So I've ruled out hardware and the MediaCoder software itself. It seems to specifically be the AVIs that CamStudio creates.

I have narrowed it down to the compressor used when creating the AVI. I have three choices - Microsoft Video 1, Cinepak Codec by Radius, and Intel |YUV. And of course, the issue occurs when using the best-looking of the three, Microsoft Video 1. But I have no idea what it might be doing differently. I should also mention that the AVI created by CamStudio plays fine in Media Player with no color shift at all. So the file looks fine at first; it only takes on a color shift when transcoded.

And finally, the color shift is specifically between the Blue and Red channels. The Green channel stays the same, but Blue and Red "switch".

So, any theories or past experience with this issue?