Thread: Campaign region -- need geography feedback

Wip Campaign region -- need geography feedback

I'm making a world in which to run the Age of Worms adventure path and, obviously, I need a map of the areas where the game will take place. I'd like it to be fairly realistic in terms of terrain/climate layout, and scale (which I always have trouble judging). At the moment, I've only got a land/sea outline and a rough idea of where the various terrain types will go. If you could take a look and tell me there's anything obviously off that I should change now (when I've put relatively little time into it ), I'd appreciate it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AoW World Map Terrain.png 
Views:	147 
Size:	209.6 KB 
ID:	48577  
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

I'm new here, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt. But it's an interesting map--looks a bit like a warped North America got dragged down by Australia somewhere. The vegetation types look pretty plausible. But it'd be helpful to have vegetation types over the whole map--"hills" and "mountains" tells you about landforms, but not about how climate affects natural communities. But generally, as long as there's major circulation from the west, the layout seems to work.

[edit] I'm mentally in Oregon, too. :-)

Only thing that I would mention is that this continent is really quite big, probably roughly the size of North America. That means the mountains are really massive, probably surpassing the Andes and Rocky Mountains. Not impossible, stranger things have been seen in the solar system.

I'm not very familiar with Age of Worms, but I think this is on a scale much larger than what you'll actually be visiting during the campaign. Which isn't a bad thing, knowing what lies beyond the edges of the map helps to make what is on it appear more plausible and sensible. But it probably would work out best to use just a rather small portion of it as the "world map" for the campaign. Otherwise you'd been traveling for months between the locations of the individual adventures.

Good point on the vegetation, scott. I actually do have some notes on that, but I couldn't make it fit well when I was sketching out my areas.

Funny you should mention that, Yora -- I was looking at a map of North America when I was trying to figure out what scale I should put on it I'll think about shrinking it some, though. In Age of Worms, there's about 8 critical locations, which I've scattered across the map to put them in the terrain and climate I want. Travel time hopefully won't be much of an issue, though, as there's not much location change until the higher levels when magical travel is available. The players will only get smaller sections of the map with what they need on them, but it bothers me when I don't have the full thing.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.