Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Sketchy Endeavor

Wip A Sketchy Endeavor

So I've been wanting to try out a more hand-drawn map style for some time, but, not having a tablet, thought I'd wait till I got one to try it out. Course that could be some time from now, and what with all these handy tips & tricks that Torstan and Djekspek have been putting together, I thought, awe what the hell. So here's my first baby steps in trying out this new style. I will be adding a bit more terrain detail before coloring the land. Not sure about the sea color yet. Right now this is just a place holder. Critique and constructive feedback is welcome.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sketchy Practice Part 1.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	44130  

Impressive. The mountains are very well done and the forests have some detail without being overwhelming. I like how clean it is--it leaves room for labels/additional elements.

Any chance you could link to the tutorials you used? Or was this a combination of a bunch of smaller guides?

This is really cool, arsheesh! I am looking forward to seeing where this will go. The mountains are already very good, imho.
    If i can, have some rep.!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Thanks Romulus & Eilathen. May be some time before I finish this one, since spring break is just about finished. Romulus, Torstan has posted his Assorted Tips & Tricks here. As to DJ's tutorials, he's been uploading them to Deviantart. However, if you go to his website he's got a section which hosts his tutorials.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

Making one mountain icon is easy... Making beautiful mountain ranges is hard. You have done an amazing job on the ranges and I'm looking forward to seeing them colored.
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

Very Nice!

Beautiful and very clean work, I like it very much I'm very much looking forward to seeing what you do with this!

This a beautiful start. I love this style, and it looks like you got a great handle on it. And you're doing this with a mouse?! Impressive.

You have a lot of opportunities for some nice long mountain ridges in addition to the clusters you have going on. Is that something you're considering?

Wow, thanks for all the support guys. I had hoped to have a bit more completed to show today but got bogged down grading essay papers (always takes longer than you think). @Mozltovcocktail, yes this was done with a mouse, and I'm not sure I understand the question about mountain ridges. If you mean, had I intended to include more Mt. "Ranges" then the answer is no (though I may add a few more hills here and there). If you mean, do intend to add more color shading to bring out the ridges of the Mt. Ranges already there, then the answer is yes I do. Anyway, hopefully I will have a chance to work on this again during the weekend. It's fun trying out a new style.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Hoo boy, i'm looking forward to see this finished. Awesome.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast