Thread: Underground cities?

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Help Underground cities?

I'm really sort of new at map making but more experienced with photoshop. That's where my map making experiment comes in, lol Plus, being a writer It figure it'd help if I could make my own maps.

I've done a sort of 'realsitic' map like this one of mine: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Now the problem I run across is I've been wondering how to represent an underground city (such as say a Dwarven city) on a realistic maplike this to distinquish between above ground and underground cities. Any suggestions?

I personally think the easiest way is to have them settle in a large cavern, much easier to deal with and easier to represent. Although, you could do it the dwarf Fortress way, and have a series of rooms and such.
    Also, heres a map of a city underground that I made for a contest: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...-Koretar/page2

I'd like to do it in a similar 'realistic' style. Would a nother 'style' of city or something work, do you think?

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

now its pretty hard to see any details on your map - and the HUGE letters aren't making it easier ... but basically you could make 2 maps, above- and underground. If you don't want to do that, then mark on your above ground map the entry to to underground city - and if your scale is to big to show that, then you have to use markers instead.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Download it and you can see the better details as its a huge res. The letteres of course are a watermark as this is an example of my work on my graphic artist page. Sorry about that but the huge res. is a sort of pain to upload. However, I can if need be.

The advice on showing the entrance to the underground cities gives me a few new ideas!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know they are a "watermark" ... but I can't help thinking that they hurt you more than benefits you. First off, you're a writer, so your primary product is writing, so the maps are "promotion for your books", and you want people to enjoy looking at them. Secondly, YOU have the high res files, so should somebody copy your artwork AND remove a smaller signature in the corner (which most people wouldn't even bother with), you can always prove that the artwork is yours and people copying and spreading the work without removing the signature is actually promoting you This is of course my opinion and you don't have to agree at all, I'm only trying to help. I just know that in my favorite folder on DeviantArt you won't find any pics with watermarks on them, if I see a watermark I move on.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I'm not just a writer. I'm also a graphic artist. I've had people clip off siqnatures before and not able to get them removed. Now when somebody pays its a different story, of course I don't watermark it.