Thread: A program to convert a double hem. azimuthal equal area sketch into equirectangular?

Question A program to convert a double hem. azimuthal equal area sketch into equirectangular?

Just cleaned up the edge connections on a sketch (see low-res flattened version below) and I'd like to convert what I have into equirectangular form so I can plug it into G Projector. Is there a program that can do this automatically, and preferably free?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	az equal area double hem sketch.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	292.3 KB 
ID:	48662
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

I'm not sure about automatically, but there is software out there that will do it. I would hazard a guess that if you crop out the two hemispheres that you could do the warp with something like Hugin or one of the other reprojection packages out there. http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...reprojectimage also looks like a viable technique.

I'm partial to my ancient ReprojectImage software as described in the above thread. The 10 minute conversion looks like:

Name:	a3.png 
Views:	254 
Size:	771.4 KB 
ID:	48672

I didn't put too much time into aligning things or trying to get exact sizes, though, so things are a little out of whack at the poles.

I took that Equirectangular projection and pushed it back to a Wagner VII projection with stereo endcaps in FT. It shows how I didn't quite get things lined up because the two hemispheres look a bit bulged.

Name:	a4.png 
Views:	161 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	48673

I'm sure the GIS masters around here have better solutions.

That's a sweet little program ( !!! ) and exactly what I want. But, um... I'm stuck on the map projection page; what number do I input for the scale to get the right [never mind. got it close enough]... And, regarding copyright/license/etc, can I use it for commercial work?
    Last edited by Chashio; 10-02-2012 at 12:33 AM.

There are no limits on the output of the software, just don't sell the program itself, please (or link to the download files and bypass the download page altogether, as some Brazilian sites have been doing, despite my requests not to do so).

The UI is a little rough on it, but it's pretty low on my list of things to fix.

Thank you very much!

What is the link for the download page?

I was whining about the Wilbur downloads there, sorry. I don't think there is a dedicated page to download that one from so I'm not sure what I was thinking.