Thread: Ge and Nimodeos

Wip Ge and Nimodeos

I have started my first maps using GIMP and Inkscape. I have made several maps over the years using pens and paper
    and this is my first foray into using computer based tools to do it.

I am recreating a world that I originally developed about 20 years ago for a Runequest 2/3 campaign, and want to use it
    in a new Runequest 6 campaign.

The main continent map is simple and without color, this I will use to make larger scale maps for various regions.
    I'd appreciate any feedback, criticism and ideas.

When I feel confident enough I may go ahead and make the continental map more artistic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	borea_lastos.png 
Views:	265 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	48689   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nimodeos_map.png 
Views:	168 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	48690  

These are very nice! I really like both of them for different reasons. The continent map is very smooth and has an old-school feel to it. Nice job on the labeling as well. I also really like the colored map of Nimodeos. You've chosen some lovely colors. Nicely done.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks for the kind words.

I thought I'd keep the map bright. I know now why many maps are more subdued.
    Labelling has become difficult on the Nimodea map, the strong lines and bright colours make it difficult
    to position labels so they are legible.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Those are great! The color/regional map particularly is lovely. And I know exactly what you mean about keeping the labels legible - always an ongoing struggle.

Two very nice maps! They are great examples of what inkscape can do.

One small suggestion is to use the spirospline setting when drawing rivers, as it makes the curves a bit smoother and (imoo) more natural looking.

-RobA>

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

These are both very nice. I love the "clean" feel of maps made in Inkscape. Nice colors and good presentation of information. Repped.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Default More Fleshed out Island

Thanks all for the encouraging comments.
    I have added to the Nimodea map. It is starting to look more complete. I'm not happy yet with the way I have done the forests.
    An experiment with canvas and one of the Gimp artistic filters has been used in this example. I think it may be too much (I may be better off using a less regular textured background), and loses the nice crisp edges, but I do like the painted feel. I will keep experimenting.

The fonts I have used (Stein Antik and Archaelogicaps)are from my favorite font designer, Manfred Klein. He has also done a lot of icon and picture fonts which map designers
    will undoubtedly find useful. The sea serpent is from one of his mythological fonts. He makes his fonts free for private use or requests a donation to Medecien Sans Frontiers for commercial use. You will find most of his fonts on DaFont etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nimodeos_map_2.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	48835