Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP - Catatombs - Old-school map practice ...

The flat ones. By the way what's the font you are using?

I really like the old-fashioned style maps. I recently went back to the other classic of blue grid paper and black ink.

The thing you churned out in illustrator, if I'm not mistaken, It actually would look really good instead of the tan/beige coloring if you went black and white. For some reason it feels like it needs a lot of detail with that coloring it has now. It could just be me though! (Would love to see a black background, with black for the walls rendition to see how it looks!)

But definitely more of that old fashioned style of maps your going with is quite refreshing!

Ah, the flat ones well, will definitely prepare more! I've been contemplating how to integrate free-form sandboxes with prepared one- or two-page dungeons, so that I basically have a gaming area & then challenges & encounters to throw at the players. I just haven't decided completely on how to prepare the maps ... I've made a symbol library, but I'm not perfectly happy with it - while it keeps to the default standard of OD&D maps, it just doesn't work perfectly well for me.

When I run a dungeon crawl, I find I don't need the map to hold information on the kind of door & trap & connection. I need a simple map that tells me "A" links to "B" and "C", there is a trap, a door might be locked, one room is big, another small ... then details develop through the game.

As for the font: a classic. Minion Pro by Adobe, the basic Serif that ships with Adobe products.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Catatombs_Catatomb 3.png 
Views:	1045 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	49425

aaand this is the flat version of the labyrinth, in black and white.

Attachment 49426

And here is the same thingy with a bit of fluff ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12