Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Catatombs - Old-school map practice ...

Default WIP - Catatombs - Old-school map practice ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Catatombs_Catatomb 1.png 
Views:	683 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	48691

I'm working on making some really old-school simple maps, to make a style I can whip out map in quickly and easily, while keeping them looking, well, nifty. I want something I can use at a game, write on like mad, scratch around and fiddle with ... because I like that. Also, it fits in with the old-school vibe of my role-play.

I really like how clear and easy to read these floor-plans are. With the map key you could easily see at a glance what's in each room. The next step I'll be working on once I land on a quick style that I like is to include (as you have done) doors, traps and other related elements into my quick dungeon maps. BTW, what are you playing? Some older version of D&D or a retroclone?

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Perfect. Just perfect. The classic dungeon crawl map. All the info nothing that isn't needed. Perfect.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I'm trying to make a set of symbols for reuse - I'll have redo the doors. While I like the swing-look, after looking through the donjon dungeon builder, I realized I could do something different. Maybe I've made the base size of the symbols too small, but they are only vectors after all. As I've said, a major requirement for me, as a DM, is that the map is something I can whip up fast & that leaves it easy to scratch and write in new stuff.

I'm actually running a variant of microlite20 (yes, that's a nice link!), which takes the D&D rules and strips them down to the simplest level. Basically it's a retroclone with some modifications of my own ... I've found that I really like the power curve from levels 3 to 7 in most variants of D&D, so the game sort of follows those. It's also packed with some silliness (a bit like munchkin), a lot of random tables and some other stuff. At present I'm codifying version 4 of the rule-set - there aren't that many rules, actually. A system for fast, random character generation; a separate magic system and - the best bit - the horrible stuff tables, which cover what happens to careless adventurers. Mostly, you can just drop in any 1st to 3rd edition creature with only minor tweaks & by paying attention to things like hp, AC and to-hit bonuses (or thac0, if you insist).

Name:	Catatombs_Catatomb 1.png 
Views:	414 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	48743

I've tried another small one ... I'm going to print it out later and see how well it works. I might have the scale wrong.

Oh yeah, I'm familiar with Mircrolight20. I was actually considering running it with the group I'm currently planning a campaign for, but decided I wanted a slightly more robust set of rules. Sounds like allot of fun though, especially the Munchinesque bit. Digging this simple mapping style too.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am so far out of the loop with the gaming systems. I've been writing (and playing) for AD&D 2.0 for so long that it's morphed into something barely recognizable as such. I was never much of a "dice jockey" as I prefer role playing to combat. I really do like these dungeons though. They kind of feel like I could print one out and play a quick session easily.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Microlite20 is basically D&D stripped down to basics ... then I took that and built it up again a bit, to something that suits my DMing style. It's basically compatible with most D&D stuff, with a little bit of common sense on the part of players & DM.

I've found a nifty little thing in Illustrator ... yes, I've been terribly remiss in getting used to the 3d tool! Anyhow, here's a simple labyrinth/dungeon (without doors and fings):

Name:	Mazeland WIP1-01.png 
Views:	1559 
Size:	292.0 KB 
ID:	49214

Love the floor plans so much. Any chance of seeing some more?

Yes, I think there is some chance which ones do you mean? The flat ones or the 3d ones?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast