Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handdrawn maps project: Westeros

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Thats some impressing Handwork here!

Hello everyone,

it took time, but it is finally done... I present to you, the map of the Bay of Seals. It should roughly overlap with the first map, "Beyond the Wall".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BayofSeals.jpeg 
Views:	2680 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	51312

The next step will most likely be the Bay of Ice (yes, I'm into bays these times...), but I think I'll do some other projects in the mean time: I'm preparing an Ars Magica campaign, and that means of course a few maps... I already posted a map here, but I'm bound to draw it again (I did some more research, and there are some errors and missing elements...), and add a few other maps. So don't worry if the next one takes some time to come.

Thanks to - Max - for the rep, it gave me the little nudge necessary to finish this map...

As always, feel free to comment and give some advice!
    Last edited by Eochaid; 01-17-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Nice effort there though, after having looked at your maps several times that moutains looks a bit odd to my eyes and I really think that terrains could get more work - more than white areas

Keep up the good work

Your lineart should be more disciplined, but I think this will come with more exercise.
    Perhaps you should use a better pen to get more precision to your lines.

And I must admit, I don't like the mountains. It would be better to get them a bit of perspective and shading.

My advice would be, not to start with a complete map with hours of work, but first do some trying out on a scrap paper.
    Did you try a few variation concept of mountains before you started? For me it looks more like taking the first idea you got.

Despite this, i like your project though.
    The black lettering is very nice, too. One can see that you're a skilled scribe.

Thanks for your advice.

The idea behind this project was to have a lot of drawing to do, to be able to improve by repetition, and to allow myself some experiment in the process --- I have some difficulties drawing just to experiment... I lack the whole image when drawing on scrap paper, and I don't like working "for nothing". I'll have to be a little harder on myself.

As for the precision of the lines, I did try to draw this map quite quickly (to see how it went... mountains and forests were drawn in little more than 1 hour. I was a little more careful of coasts and labels, but i doubt more than 4 hours went into this one)... so I guess this shows. The scan is on 600dpi, though, so the resolution is perhaps a bit too much and details too visible --- the original is drawn on a A4 sheet. But you are completely right. My pens are quite used (and misused), too! I should change them someday.

Anyway, thank a lot for the feedback, it means a lot to me. The next map will build on this, and we'll hopefully have some better mountains and lines!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12