Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handdrawn maps project: Westeros

Wip Handdrawn maps project: Westeros

Hi everyone!

Introducing my new project: in order to practice my pen-and-ink drawing, I decided to map the whole of Westeros (from A Song of Ice and Fire, by G.R.R. Martin) at 1mm:2miles scale, on A3 (297mmx420mm) sheets. That's a total of 15 maps (!), I don't know if I'll be able/have the motivation to see it to the end, but I'll try!

Here's my planned cut (thanks Tear for the basemap...):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WesterosMaps-split.jpg 
Views:	11604 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	48733

And the beginning of my work on the first map (going north to south for now: Beyond the Wall):

Name:	BtW1.jpg 
Views:	2444 
Size:	787.9 KB 
ID:	48734

My plan is to use a style "à la" Karen Fonstad, as the Gondor map I reproduced some time ago.

I'll have to find a way to scan A3 sheets though, there is a bit of distortion at the center where I joined the two halves of the map...

I'll post my progress from time to time (I hope regularly... but being in the middle of a P.H.D., that's not guaranteed), feel free to comment and especially to give some advice, since the main goal of the adventure is to practice and improve myself...

Wow, that is an epic project! Good luck
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

A fascinating project, and I see you're planning on using Karen Wynn Fonstad's mountains from the Atlas of Middle Earth. I love that book. It helped start my mapping, too!

Looks like a worthwhile project. Look forward to seeing it progress.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Hi everyone!

It's been quite a long time since the first sketch of the map... But it is now done! I present to you: Beyond the Wall.

Name:	BeyondTheWall.jpg 
Views:	36380 
Size:	4.22 MB 
ID:	50154

As always, don't hesitate to post comments, this is a training project, so ANY type of feedback is important: what you find good, bad, not so great, any advice, etc.

The next map should be smaller, since I'll be mapping the area just west of this one: Skagos. And I'll be applying the feedback from you guys. Hopefully in 15 maps the style will be decent (and production time faster).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BeyondTheWall.pdf  
    Last edited by Eochaid; 11-21-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Wow! That is fantastic work Eochaid. I really like the way you did the mountain contours. Have some rep!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

This project is momentous and you're doing incredibly so far! All the best for the other 14 maps, and I hope they turn out as great as this one!

An impressive piece of work inderdad!

Comment wise: did you think about maybe doing the labelling on a separate sheet of paper or on tracing paper? that way you could compose the two together digitally & it would probably be easier to make smooth looking labels.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

This is really impressive. Reminds me of the maps in The Atlas of Middle Earth.
    This cavern is below all, and is the foe of all. It is hatred, without exception. This cavern knows no philosophers; its dagger has never cut a pen. Its blackness has no connection with the sublime blackness of the inkstand. Never have the fingers of night which contract beneath this stifling ceiling, turned the leaves of a book nor unfolded a newspaper.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and comments!

@Lukc: I didn't think about it, no... but I think, for this project at least, that I prefer having a 100% completely hand-drawn map, and no tinkering with the computer. But that's a good idea for future, and more digitally-oriented projects.

@Lalaithion: Yes indeed... Where do you think I picked this style?

As for the update, I drew the coasts and labels for Skagos, I hope to finish the map soon... But the elements left are mountains and forests, not the easiest and quickest things to draw...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast