Thread: Question about Labels.

Default Question about Labels.

Say I had two maps, one with beautiful terrain and only minimal labels, like only cities are mentioned. Would you rather have another more political map with landmarks, cities, terrain features, etc. Or, would you rather have that already on the map with the good terrain? Either way I will have the base map and then a political map, the reason being, I currently have one in the works with decent (if I say so myself.) Terrain, and want to know if labels for like a mountain range de-tract from that? Or enhance it, what are your opinions?

Said map is here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...Irnar-Expanded

Hmm....an interesting question. I think I prefer maps with lots of labels, as long as they don't prevent you from seeing the terrain. I tend to find that a beautiful map with minimal labels makes me go 'wow, that's really pretty!' and move on, while a beautiful map with everything labeled makes me want to study it and read what everything is called.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

That is some very nice terrain. I'd have to agree with Savannah... My reaction to both kinds of maps is similar, though I know it can be difficult to add a ton of labels and political borders on a terrain map as nice as yours.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Here is one solution:

Harrison map of Venezuela

Click on the image to expand and notice that he has separate maps for each theme.