Thread: Climate Advice

Help Climate Advice

I'm working on a map for a Fantasy Webcomic. Right now I'm trying to work out the different biomes of the world and I can't help but keep wondering: "is this right?" while I'm working. I've read through the climate cookbook a bunch of times but sometimes the material is a bit too general. Could someone give me some assistance in playing my Hight and Low pressure areas heres is the world of Lanh in the winter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WinterClimateMap.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	319.0 KB 
ID:	48737  
    Last edited by Phratello; 10-02-2012 at 11:51 PM.

First of all, i really like your map. The continets have very appealing shapes. Looking forward to this map.

Second of all, i am sure some members will soon explain this to you in awesome detail. There are a lot of very knowledgeable guys around here.
    For the meantime, take a look at this: http://www.sci.uidaho.edu/scripter/g...wind-belts.htm

On our world, the equator has low airpressure (the air is ascending) and the subtropical line at around 30 degree has high pressure (air descending). Take a look at the link above...there are a lot of nice pictures. And if you want to have more detail, there is a ton of info if you google for "wind belt", for example.

Hope that helps a bit.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Thanks for your help. That definitely helps with visualizing the placement as well as how the high and low pressure areas usually behave. I see now that tiny continents like Akkand ( top left ) are generally too small to have a high or low smack dab in the middle.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

This a bit of advice about map projections; currently, your map does not continue to show the poles. Why? Because on a map like this each pole is stretched to the top line on your map, meaning that this top line must be either all land or all sea. You probably don't really care about which projection to use; the best would be equirectangular, as it can easily be re-projected into other projections with certain pieces of software.
    This cavern is below all, and is the foe of all. It is hatred, without exception. This cavern knows no philosophers; its dagger has never cut a pen. Its blackness has no connection with the sublime blackness of the inkstand. Never have the fingers of night which contract beneath this stifling ceiling, turned the leaves of a book nor unfolded a newspaper.

Welcome, Phratello. Do a search on CG for term "climate" and userid "jbgibson".
    Not like I'm the only denizen who posts on climate setup, but I have contributed to several threads that discuss just your questions. The first six or seven threads in those results should help.