Thread: I don't understand hex grids

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Question I don't understand hex grids

I really don't, on a very basic level. That is, I know where to find hex generators and all, so that is not what I'm aksing for. If I say "one inch hex", does that mean the hex covers one square inch? That one side of the hex is 1 inch?

To illustrate my problem:

This here is supposed to be a 12x18 inch map with an 1 inch hex grid. I've taken it from here and enlarged it to showcase my dilemma.

Yet, if I use this hex generator (which was linked from the Guild in the past) to create a 1 inch hex grid my result looks like this (mine in red):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	98677

So, am I doing something fundamentally wrong? What is it that I don't get? Are the preview maps wrong????

Blog Entries

This is the same problem as with DPI - or dots per inch. The scales of either only make sense if the image is sized to a real world item like a piece of A4 paper or something. No image is 300 dots per inch but you can display it at 300 dots per inch if you use a 15" monitor or something. In the same sense the hex grid is not 1", its only 1" if printed on A4 or shown on a certain sized monitor.

In the case of hex grids its also not clear whether its the side length or the distance across the flats (AF) or the distane across the points. So when you buy hex bar stock in an engineering machine shop it will be quoted as 10mm AF thats what it means.

More usually the scale of the map underneath the hex has known value so that you can say 12 mile hexes (if you assume thats across the flats). Normally the distance is across the flats so that you can count up the number of hexes and multiply by 12 miles. It is usually assumed that your RPG party are sat dead centre of the hex and move in integer units of one hex to the centre of adjacent hexes. Normally, boundaries to things are drawn along the lines of the hex so that you are either inside or outside of them.

I think it's generally understood as from flat to opposite flat or as RR puts it across flats.

There are more reasons to hate hex grids like the elimination of the ability to travel in a straight line in the all four cardinal directions. You are limited to six straight directions of travel only. Squares still allow for diagonal movement even if it's not a 1:1 ratio. Hexes are for storage, not movement.