Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand drawn town and island concepts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Hand drawn town and island concepts

Couple of hand drawn sketches I plan to use as guides for an Island map and a walled city map. So how do you really use a hand drawn sketch in PS? If we look at the parchment jpeg with the sketch inserted I’m not getting what I would like out of the merge, eg color of background, line wt or darkness of the lines of the contours. I like the way a pen can feather from start to stop. I just don’t have that skill with a stylus. You guys have any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	walled-city-test.jpg 
Views:	560 
Size:	363.2 KB 
ID:	48765   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	highstone-reach.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	48767   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pits-roost-10-3-12-V-01.jpg 
Views:	2819 
Size:	400.6 KB 
ID:	48768  
    Last edited by RobA; 10-04-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Oops must have clicked the wrong title supposed to be WIP not praise! Mod change if you will.

To get a good blend mode you have to play a bit, often with multiple copies combining different blend modes at different opacities.

Not the most helpful advice, but someone might have more specific suggestions.

-RobA>

I also have not very helpful advice (it's more like encouragement, really). Contours of the sort you have opted for work best when applied subtly. If those maps were mine, I would be reluctant to make the feathered strokes any darker or heavier than you have. I like that style of map, but never quite got the hang of it, as you have.

This is what I do. Truly, I fiddle until I find something that works. Hence all of the hand drawn notes that I made while fiddling.

... and please don't mind the horrible drawing skill here, I was attempting to follow your contour style to make it more useful for you to gauge effects. I didn't do well. And I obviously know nothing about harbor design. ha

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brush and Layer Settings to Blend with Paper.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	48809
    Last edited by Chashio; 10-05-2012 at 02:09 AM.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

RobA , thanks for the tip on blend mode experimentation, I’ve little PS experience so this is something I’ll tuck away for future use.

THW, I agree with the subtleness of the contour line style, but as I attempted to blend the two together I got a lot of color change to both the parchment and the scanned sketch layer with the linework going nowhere I wanted. This I am sure is my lack of understanding of PS functions. I’ve been jumping all over the map so to speak lately in an attempt to learn a bit here and there in PS.

Chashio, Thanks very much for this mini tutorial, this looks like it may be the way I need to go and actually use and practice with the stylus and various brush techniques. I am assuming the background layer you indicated is a scanned paper image?

Thanks all very much appreciated, now I gotta get back to painting the house 

Oh added a little rep to ya all for the advise and encouragement

It was a very bad photo of a piece of an old piece of paper. Actually, the back of a Boy and Rabbit print that had gotten rather disgusting from water damage. I kept the original framer's pencil marks as a reference for my brush settings.

Try putting the "parchment" Layer on the bottom and the scanned "sketch" over top set to multiply blend mode. This makes the white paper of the sketch transparent. That should preserve the effect you started with. I think I may be answering the wrong question though !
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Although, on many occasions, I don't want to use the multiply mode to get rid of the white. So I found this: http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pho...rbps_2fwks.htm. Or sometimes, if it's only a small sketch, I'll just clean up the background a little more and make a full sized photoshop brush out of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast