Thread: Looking forward to being a part of the community!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Link Looking forward to being a part of the community!

I have always been interested in cartography - as a pilot and a boater, I definitely have an appreciation for the craft.

My reasons for joining here aren't entirely selfless though - I have actually recently developed a piece of software for the iPhone (called CamRuler) which I think would be really useful for enthusiasts here. Basically, using 'custom reference mode' you can use a map's scale bar to make as many other measurements as you need. I'd love to see someone here give it a try. I have used it with some success - it's not exact, but it can give you a decent idea of distance without having to break out a ruler and do a calculation.

Here's a link for those interested - I hope this is not construed as spam, as I hope to become a contributor to the community here!

Also - I am hoping to get some feedback from members here so I can make the app even more useful... if someone thinks of a feature they want, I'd really love to be able to put it in the next update!

I'd actually be interested in this, but when I followed your link and read screenshots I realised it was only for the USA - is that right? (ie 'standard' paper size, coin size and bill size - I presume you are referring to USA standards?). Perhaps one day something like this will come up using EU measurements too; I need to rescale maps for work all the time and this would be a godsend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktannery View Post
    I'd actually be interested in this, but when I followed your link and read screenshots I realised it was only for the USA - is that right? (ie 'standard' paper size, coin size and bill size - I presume you are referring to USA standards?). Perhaps one day something like this will come up using EU measurements too; I need to rescale maps for work all the time and this would be a godsend.
    Actually, EU coins and currency ARE preloaded as reference objects in the app. However, for use with maps, the reference object would be the scale-bar itself rather than a local currency.

I know there's a ton I can do to make the app more useful - but I'm committed to doing that for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Actually, EU coins and currency ARE preloaded as reference objects in the app. However, for use with maps, the reference object would be the scale-bar itself rather than a local currency.
    Ah great. I'm an archaeologist so the maps I use are often old with odd scales, so I can't really use the scale bars. What about the 'standard paper' sizes referred to? Are these european standards (A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) or US standards (US Letter, etc.)?

Welcome to the guild! Also, I would love to try it. But, I don't have a phone.

Welcome to the Guild Prometheus.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh