Thread: NodeBox (beta)

Default NodeBox (beta)

I was slaloming the byways of the intertubes and for some reason came across something called NodeBox, which lead me to their current beta release of NodeBox2

From the site:
    NODEBOX CREATES GENERATIVE ART USING PROCEDURAL GRAPHICS. IT'S A NEW WAY TO APPROACH GRAPHIC DESIGN.
    It seems to be able to produce similar results to other software like Processing and Context Free or even an l-system generator, but node based.

Check out the gallery from the original version of NodeBox (mac only)

I downloaded it and played through the documented examples and in a couple hours was able to come up with this version of Schwarzkreuz's compass rose(s):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rose1.png 
Views:	3289 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	49310

The beauty of this software for things like this is that:
    1) It creates vectors (in pdf format, but inkscape can read them in and render a png quite nicely)
    2) Everything in the nodes remains parametric, so you can scale, translate, change multiples of things, etc. and you end up with a "new" image with just a few small changes
    3) The "source" file (node tree) is insanely small - so incredibly complicated images can be rendered.
    4) It is java with a python code interpreter, so if you can program, you can custom code pretty much anything.

Not to scare anyone, but here is a screen-grab of the node tree I created to make this rose:

Name:	2012-10-25_010441.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	173.8 KB 
ID:	49311

Also, for fun, here is the pdf I exported (free to use for any purpose):

Name:	rose1.pdf 
Views:	37 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	49312

And lastly, I have attached a zip of the nodebox source file.

-Rob A>
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here is a quick demo (6 minutes) showing how you can play with the parameters of the nodes to come put with a completely different rose (you will have to watch full screen on youtube to see any details):

And the rose:

Name:	rose2.png 
Views:	247 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	49314

-RobA>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Here is a quick demo (6 minutes) showing how you can play with the parameters of the nodes to come put with a completely different rose (you will have to watch full screen on youtube to see any details):

And the rose:

Name:	rose2.png 
Views:	247 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	49314

-RobA>
    I saw this type of video once but couldn't find it again!!! I found the similar here thanks!!!

yeah thanks, looks great, gonne give that a testdrive! cheers, DJ