Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: J.Tougas's Mapping Elements

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Post J.Tougas's Mapping Elements

With all the great stuff being posted in this forum I thought I'd throw my hat in. Although I am no expert on making mapping objects and I do use quite a few pre-made objects, I am trying to create more of my own. Here is one that I created for the latest installment of "The Adventures of Calan Stonebridge" encounter map series. I needed a "fighting pit" for the tavern that is the center of this encounter map. I figured it would make a good place to start making my own elements as it is basically a structure and I am comfortable making those. The biggest thing with this was the "feel" of it. I wanted it to feel dark and gloomy and scary. The torches and the shadowing are both very important. I added some details to the floor of the pit and created the stairs. I didn't add any blood or charecters or weapons so that if anyone wants to use this they can customize it the way they'd like. As always feedback is requested and appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Axe stump fighting pit.png 
Views:	547 
Size:	521.1 KB 
ID:	48796
    Last edited by jtougas; 10-04-2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: updated image
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Very nice, keep em coming!

Guild Member Facebook Connected

Not bad keep it up..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Very nice, keep em coming!
    Thanks I've always been very afraid of making my own stuff but I'm starting to realize that I don't suck at it as bad as I first thought.

Quote Originally Posted by ruff View Post
    Not bad keep it up..
    Thanks I'm glad you like them

Here's another one that I created for the Calan Stonebridge Series. I needed a very rough table and bench. So I made this. I have two versions one darker and one lighter. Enjoy and as always feedback is requested and appreciated

Name:	tables and benches.png 
Views:	1901 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	48806

Name:	tables and bencheslighter.png 
Views:	238 
Size:	177.4 KB 
ID:	48807
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Nice table / benches. One suggestion, try a beveled edge. Not everyone likes how this looks, but it gives more depth to the table top.

Name:	tables and benches-bvl.png 
Views:	566 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	48808

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Nice table / benches. One suggestion, try a beveled edge. Not everyone likes how this looks, but it gives more depth to the table top.
    I thought about the bevel and after running one I wasn't sure if I liked it. I tend to just "shadow" the top of anything round like that to give it a little "width" but I think I'll probably upload a version of these with the bevel. Thanks for the suggestion

Finished Maps

I always bevel objects like tables, as it does help create a 3D effect. However, for medieval fantasy settings, I never use rounded corners - as you have in your tables and benches. That's a very modern convention. Square corners are true, rounded corners, not so much.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I always bevel objects like tables, as it does help create a 3D effect. However, for medieval fantasy settings, I never use rounded corners - as you have in your tables and benches. That's a very modern convention. Square corners are true, rounded corners, not so much.
    I hadn't thought of that. But it makes sense. Thanks for the feedback. I'll be updating these

Finished Maps

Guild Member Facebook Connected BISHDP's Avatar

Those are really good looking. You should post more of this kind of stuff.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BISHDP View Post
    Those are really good looking. You should post more of this kind of stuff.
    Thank you very much. Also I want to thank everyone for the feedback. I'm still "getting my feet wet" as it were with this stuff so I'll take all the help I can get One thing that I really enjoy when it comes to any kind of mapping is telling a story. To tell a great story you need the "filler" the backstory the little details that make the scene come to life. I realized that the tables I made (besides being rounded.. ) were just not rough enough. Where were the scars from countless mugs being dragged across them? Where were the broken edges from fights and swords banging against them? There has to be knife marks and knotholes and all the little "character" stuff that makes a fantasy tavern table. SO after all of that I went and made a new table for the Axe & Stump. I also on the advice of people that are far better at this than I am went back and added a bevel to the original tables and benches that I made. I adjusted the opacity of the beveling layers so there wasn't so much of a "hard edge" I hope you enjoy all of these as much as I enjoy making them. As always feedback is requested and appreciated.

The New Rectangular Table and Benches

Name:	Rectangle table benches.png 
Views:	7993 
Size:	485.0 KB 
ID:	48825

The Updated Beveled Version of the Original Rounded Edge Table & Benches
    Dark Version

Name:	tables and benchesdarkerbevel.png 
Views:	259 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	48826
    Lighter Version

Name:	tables and bencheslighterbevel.png 
Views:	170 
Size:	190.5 KB 
ID:	48827

Finished Maps

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast