Thread: Magnimar

Guild Member

Default Magnimar

So, my game group is going to be running a Pathfinder game set in Magnimar. I am working on whipping up some loactions in the city that will be ready for use when I need them. I will post the maps for anyone else that might find them helpful. As usual, most of the objects come from from rpgmapshare and dungjinni.

Guild Member

Default The Fang

A small, but very popular inn in the Dockway District.

These are maps of the ground level and two upstairs rooms. I realize the the floorplans do not match up exactle between the levels, but it is a product of the inn design. If you had an outside view you would see that the second level actually is offset a bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fang.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	48854 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fang Upstairs.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	48855

Here is a map of both levels on a paper background:

Name:	The Fang Inn on paper.jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	779.7 KB 
ID:	48856

Guild Member

Default The Guilded Cage

This is a nightclub in Lowcleft. It is supposed to be gawdy and decadant. It is built into the cliffs of the seacleft and, therfore, has stone walls and floor. I am still not 100% happy with it and may make changes. It does not come off as decadant engough.

Name:	The Guilded Cage.jpg 
Views:	527 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	48857

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really like the idea (and the name) Is the club built into a cavern or just into the side of the cliff? The way you have it now makes it look like it is in a cavern. (which is fine) The dance floor looks more like a pedestal because of the shadowing also I think you could get away with just the first step of that to show that it is a dance floor. These kinds of maps can really benefit from lighting. A "gawdy" club would be well lit at the bar and less so on the dance floor. These kinds of lighting effects are easy to create using different layers. Also although I can understand the use of the natural stone it is a little "cold" a fancy club might well lay some fancier tiles on the floor. All in all it's very nice and looks like a fun place to have a drink (and get into trouble) The Inn is nice as well. You could try to shadow the walls a bit to get them a sense of depth. Overall they are all good and look like a fun place to play a few sessions
    Last edited by jtougas; 10-06-2012 at 12:17 PM.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Member

Default Guilded Cage

Thanks for the feedback. I like the idea of it being more "built in" and less "cavern". So here is a first attempt. I still need to work on the lighting.

Views:	175 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	48893

Blog Entries

That looks good. A couple of things to think about. The cliff wall is very regular. It almost looks like a city wall instead. Are the round objects columns? If so they might look better with a base of some sort. These kind of maps can almost always benefit from a bit of clutter as well think about the "atmosphere" you are trying to depict. Is the club crowded? (you don't have to use characters to give the feeling of a crowd) Is it a "rowdy" place with loud music and a rough crowd? Is it a more quiet "classy" place where the richer criminal element of your city meet to discuss business? Answering these questions can help you to "see" your map the way you want others to see it and can help you set the "mood" of the scene. Keep us the good work
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Member

Default Guilded Cage

Latest Edition of this map. I added a grid. Since this is posted in the battlemaps section it seemed appropriate.

I agree that the wall is very regular looking, but I'm not sure how to go about fixing that yet.

Views:	268 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	48946

Blog Entries

The lighting is getting there now. It might be a good idea to build a "private room" it doesn't have to be big just enough for a table (every club needs one ) As far as the wall goes it should be simple to just use the lasso tool and draw an irregular line down the face of the cliff (on either side of the building) and then clear the selection. You'll probably have to blend some texture under the wall layer where you clear it. Keep up the good work

Finished Maps

Guild Member

Here is another update. Thanks for all the advice jtougas. I'm obviously a beginner and the feedback is great.

Views:	361 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	48970

Blog Entries

Info

Very good. I like that private room. I'd say your almost there now. Just some more lighting effects (such as making the private room a bit darker with maybe a overhead lighting effect.
    I made a very quick example of lighting effects. This is just your base image with a "dark layer" over the club layout. I set the opacity to "overlay" and erased parts of the layer where I wanted some light to shine through. You can add another layer and make light effects as well.

Views:	268 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	48971
    Last edited by jtougas; 10-08-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Finished Maps