Thread: Getting specific mountains and other parts for the map

Question Getting specific mountains and other parts for the map

Hi folks. I'm new to the mapmaking business and want to create a rather simple one for my new RPG campaign and I want to use the style of this map: http://daelstorm.thegraveyard.org/ma...0(colored).jpg
    I think that I can create my map using the Atlas Tutorial using GIMP for the basic stuff, however I want my mountains to look like those on the map. I guess if I knew how to put them in my map it would be the same procedure to get those tower-like buildings in it?
    Please help me with this

Hi Notisur.

The map you linked to looks like it uses stamps (or tube or an image hose, depending on what your software calls it) to create the mountains. If you look closely you can see that there are the same set of shapes used over and over again in the mountains.

This is what is often referred to as a "hand drawn" map, rather than an artistic map. Search the forums for that phrase as I know that there are any number of tutorials. Also, search for the StarRaven brush set... It would probably provide exactly the symbols you are looking for.

After creating the map in black and white you can add the colour washes as desired.

-RobA>

Thanks, that helped me very much. The map is nearly finished and I'm quite pleased with it.