Thread: A Luddite's Map

Guild Applicant

Wip A Luddite's Map

Hello -- you all have a great community around here and it's good to be registered and posting. Not sure what else to say about myself other than that I make maps 100% by hand -- that means no Photoshop, no tablet, no stylus, no computers (except to scan and post here). I'm not anti-those things by any means, I just don't prefer to use them. The title of this thread is a joke, of course, but seriously: I like to try out a lot of different styles using the tools and materials available to me. My most recent adventure has been experimenting with a decidedly simplistic Baroque style. Here is a little sample. It is very blurry because it is a low-grade scanner -- but I'll scan in a better version at some point. There's obviously a lot of work to be done (really only outlines exist at this point, and the whole map will be a ~16x16" square -- this is only a tiny portion of that). Consider this more a "hello" kind of post... just didn't want to show up empty-handed.

- nightpiece
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip_map_cropped.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	452.6 KB 
ID:	48991  

Welcome to the Guild nightpiece! We accept Luddites as well . This looks quite nice. I'd love to see a full scale map done in this style. I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future. In fact, why not post some of your previous work up in the finished maps section?

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Applicant

Hi there, and thanks for the welcome. I will surely post the finished map when I am done with it... there is really so much to do at this point...! I recently painted rivers and spent a good deal of time drawing in more mountains. What you see here is about 5% of the total area.
    Also, I'd post previous maps in the Finished section, but the two I am most proud of are the two I am working on now.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome !! Very nice work.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

That's a nice look, nightpiece. And thanks for contributing right from the start -that would be worth a snippet of rep even without the high quality.

Guild Applicant

Wip

Hey, thanks. Here is another shot including today's work (as well as some of last night's, which had not been included in the previous scan). These are not scans -- but digital photos. I think my camera does better than the low-quality scanner in terms of showing the line quality, but my light source tonight is rather limited so the lighting is rather uneven on these images. Once the project is complete, I'll fork over some money to a kinkos or something for a nice quality image. Even though I make stuff by hand, I sometimes like playing with different things in photoshop to produce a "digital version" -- but often I don't like those versions as much as the original. We'll see with this one!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip_map_2.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	48996   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip_map_2_close_up.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	48997