Thread: Ikvari..Mountains etc.

Post Ikvari..Mountains etc.

Well , when in Rome... Inspired by the recent mountain binges and fortified with some knowledge of Photoshop thanks to Pyrandon (and all of the CG members) I banged out this map last night in 2 hours. Im not too happy with the rivers, or the deep water areas. And I think the coastlines could use some more work. What do you guys think? As for scale...I have no idea.
    Note: Mountains made using a bunch of Wet brushes in shades of brown(3shades) grey (2 shades) a bit of white for the tops and black (set at a middle opacity) for shadows. Then I messed around with the emboss/bevel layer styles with a bit of texture.
    -P
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ikvari-Topography.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	3620  

Nicely done! You might think about reducing the amount of compression you're using. There's a lot of noise along your coastlines that causes them to look blurry. I'm very impressed with the mountain technique; would you care to break it down a bit more for us?
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Wow, that looks very good. The mountains look quite natural, which is hard to do. The only problem is that there is some plateauing in a few areas where you maxed out on the bevel/contour.

I would also like to hear a little more about how you did them.

Really nice work, but I'd echo what landorl said about the plateauing on the mountains. It's a really common difficulty when you're drawing mountains using bevel/emboss techniques. You may need to get the clone and/or smudge brush out and go over the plateaux to give them a mountainy feel.

Oooh. Good points landorl and ravells. I'm gonna be working on this one in the coming month as I have a few other maps I'm working with right now. As for the technique..yeesh I dunno I kinda 'winged' it to be honest, just using a ton of brushstrokes with a very small range of colors. I do know I used almost all of the wet media brushes. They have a set opacity as default but I believe I lowered it to about 20-30 percent.
    Thx for the positive comments guys!
    -P