Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: October Challenge - The Horror in Clay

Default October Challenge - The Horror in Clay

Hi folks,

Well lets go for a bit of Lovecraft! I am going to do the opening scene of 'Call of Cthuthu', The finding of the 'Horror in Clay'.....

I am not going to start with a map, but a prop, I will tie all these little illustrations & props into one finished map.....

### Latest Entry ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Statue02_cis.jpeg 
Views:	431 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	49054

Right, just getting the layout together, needs a few more props & wording to tie the story to the maps, plus the maps need finishing. Its getting there. Not sure if I should keep it colour or go for monochrome?

### Latest Entry ###

Name:	CoC_Full scene Test01a_cis.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	239.5 KB 
ID:	49064
    Last edited by Cisticola; 10-11-2012 at 07:59 PM.

That's more the look I wanted, quite a task I set myself, I want to capture the atmosphere of that first chapter of Lovecraft's short story. Changed the background, with a hint a some dark tentacles at the bottom. Props work, the telegram works well as a link to the next chapter, but I might make it bigger. Tried out some text to see if the font works, happy with that. The maps are just there to show layout, I'll concentrate on those next, which should bring the whole piece together...

### Latest Entry ###

Name:	CoC_Full scene Test03a_cis.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	550.8 KB 
ID:	49069

Coming along Brilliantly! When you get to your final post, don't forget you can post up to 4MB sized images, so don't skimp on the resolution.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's looking great. Did you do the original illustration (first post)? That's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    That's looking great. Did you do the original illustration (first post)? That's awesome!
    Hi Torstan, yes its an original image. A pencil line drawing scanned into Inkspace, tidied up, then exported to Gimp & added shading & textures.

Thanks for the support guys, on schedule to finish this one.

OK, this the last tweaks to layout, all pretty minor. Added the clay statue & box to map (some minor changes to map as well) to tie in with the picture & increased the size of the telegram. Now the fun part, some shadows & lighting effects, & good old fashioned tweaks with an airbrush......

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	CoC_Full scene Test03c_cis.jpeg 
Views:	335 
Size:	558.5 KB 
ID:	49089
    Last edited by torstan; 10-13-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's awesome - it looks great! It seems I gave some erroneous advice in the original challenge thread. I've updated your tag from "Latests Entry" to "Latest WIP" and it should now be showing up in the challenge thumbs. Sorry for the mix up.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Damn that IS nice.

Just wish it was larger, 'cause I want to jet a better look at the cover of the book in the lower left corner. Mad Abdul's work perhaps?
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast