Thread: Some traditional media

Map Some traditional media

Lately I've been drawing some maps to try out different techniques of traditional media. The reason is maps are relatively easy to set up and mess around with. I also wanted to try a few ways of conveying cartographic information (with elements and colours).

First one is non-waterproof micron, gouache and coloured pencil. It's a city of sorts, kind of inspired by Pyrandons city tutorial, of which I like the design a lot. How viable it is in reality... I have my doubts, it's not a very practical thing, having all these walls to build and having small parts of government needed everywhere.

Second one is one of the northern islands of the map I posted here, gouache and ink. Wanted to use colour to show the differing heights, it came out a little too light.

Third one is inspired by Tolkien and this awesome map. Ink and pencil. I really like the mountains on this one. Had some trouble doing the coastal elements, so tried a few different things, none of which really caught my eye. Too bad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05-02 en 03 map clean.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	3625   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05-04 en 05 - isle of fuar.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	3626   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05-10, 14 en 15 kaarten clean.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	3627  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

I really like the look of that first map, the coloring is very well done... and traditional media is always fun to get dirty in, eh?