Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Castle

It's some sort of weird skylight in the roof that is invisible on the roof map.

The lighting is pretty simple actually. It has three layers.

1. the bright areas are a white overlay layer. This is a little blurred (I used gaussian blur).
    2. I duplicated this layer.
    3. Next I placed a layer of pure black over the floor (but not over the walls). I selected all the white bits of layer 1 ('alpha to selection') then deleted this off the black layer. Then I reduced the opacity of the black layer to c. 50% or so (can't remember exactly).

And that's it. Very simple.

Quote Originally Posted by anomiecoalition View Post
    just one question - is the big circular light in the middle from a chandelier or skylight?
    That one irritates me too: it cannot be a skylight since there is just not enough room for a hole big enough to create this projection. And for a chandelier it is much too bright and the position does not make sense.

It looks similar to a rose window on a cathedral.

Exactly atpollard - it was meant to be a rose window, situated somewhere high up. I acknowledge the lighting is probably not terribly realistic but I don't know enough about shadows and perspective to know how to go about doing it properly.

I haven't abandoned this project - I'm just busy on other things, and will get back to this in due course.

It's looking amazing I think. The one thing that I feel should be addressed is the lack of shadow from the building itself...I mean with all the shadows through the windows the south side of the building should be in some serious shade.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks Jaxilon - you are absolutely correct about the shadow. I'll need to get on that.

Amazing work. Especially the shades and lightning are exceptional.

Apart from that I have a few minor things: 1. The strange circular light in the church. 2. The church roof looks rounded. 3. I'm not fond of walls with lighting effects on them when you see them top-down and cut through (I know many encounter maps that uses this style so this my personal reflection of a very, very nice looking map).

Minor note: The well/cistern is perfect in size for a large castle. I guess in the real world it would be covered by a sturdy floor (with a trapdoor to get water through) or even a roof but it's looks better as it is now

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

what a fantastic project Jackt - and wonderful artwork you're making. Love the textures and lighting and the general feel... very cool - I just have to rep you now so I don't forget later, now that I'm not around as much as I used to be
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

JackTannery any progress updates on this? I need my castle fix LOL

Thanks for the kind words Carnifex and Tilt.

Carnifex, I'm also coming around to the idea that the strange circular light in the chapel is awful and should be removed. The chapel roof was supposed to look rounded to the west. I'm not 100% sure what you mean by point 3 - do you mean the chapel windows? Yes these are very strange but I really like them. Glad to hear my well is of a realistic size - though that was just a fluke.

Vellum - I'm still busy but I'll be working on the keep next time I get a chance to update.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast