Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Castle

I've taken those idea anomie-c and added a stables and small western courtyard with outbuildings/stores/smithies. I put a well in the western courtyard and a fountain in the eastern/main court. That's great and breaks up those open spaces.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Concept7.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	49113

EDIT: And now I've added my main (under-building) shadows so I remember to put them into the encounter maps.

Name:	Concept8.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	49114
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 10-14-2012 at 06:08 PM.

I live up in the mountains, down in a cave, way out west.
    Blog Entries

It seems like you're under way, but if you're still seeking a layout I can send you a few pics of castles/forts I've doodled. Lemme know via email if you're interested - I'm at realmwright[at]gmail[dot]com.

Bridge Version 1. This was a bit of a rush-job; its not finished yet and I need to think hard in particular about the colour of the paving stones on the bridge. I haven't added in the sunlight or the shadows yet. However I wanted to get started so here we go.

Name:	BridgeV1.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	49122

EDIT: put some work into the shadows and added a bit of stone texture to the bridge.

Name:	BridgeV2.jpg 
Views:	492 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	49130
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 10-15-2012 at 04:04 PM.

This looks like quite the undertaking! Look forward to watching it unfold.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Well I've been thinking about all my circular towers and I am delighted to report that after playing around in GIMP for a while I have found a new trick!

See these images: the top one is just a photo of a stone wall I've cut into four slices and pasted roughly in a line. I didn't bother fixing the seams. This long line of wall is on a layer which is exactly the width of the image, and about four times as tall as the image, and the image is centred on the layer (changing these parameters makes a huge difference). I then select FILTER>DISTORT>POLAR COORDINATE and press OK without checking any of the settings and I get the circular bottom image. Useful!

Name:	Stone wall.JPG 
Views:	712 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	49142

And here we have that same circle of wall with some colours and shading and a roof (tower roof by Kegron here http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/foru...oof&PN=0&TPN=1 I just changed the colour) to make a tower. I can use these as my wall tower external view.

I've included it as a png so others can use it. If anyone wants me to do this in a different colour for them it will be extremely easy so just let me know. I doubt this tower is finished yet - won't know until I start using it.

Name:	Tower1.png 
Views:	646 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	49144
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 10-17-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Looks amazing...wouldn't mention it except that you seem to be putting a lot of effort on the details...but, perhaps little arrow slots in the exterior circle (forget what the technical name of that is).
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Crenellations? - yes I agree. I will be adding those next. Thank you for the good idea.

EDIT: here we go (there's a bit of clipping to the west and north unfortunately):

Views:	800 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	49145

EDIT2: fixed the clipping and increased the contrast on the roof a little to make it seem taller and pointier. There is a minor shadow error but I'm going to ignore it.

Views:	455 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	49146
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 10-16-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Here's a segment of curtain wall to go in between the turrets. It has no shadows or highlighting because each of the wall sections is oriented in a different way. You may wonder why I'm making all these elements - its because so many of the encounter maps have a bit of a wall, or a bit of a tower, and it would have been silly to redo them a million times from scratch - this is more efficient.

Name:	battlements.png 
Views:	1418 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	49174

Awesome...i'm stealing your tower...
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast