Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolves Fall Castle

I really like the layout you've settled on. One suggestion for the hills would be to merely add some soft shadows in whatever shape you'd like to convey elevation. Similar to what you did in the last post, but a little darker, thicker, and random(er).
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by anomiecoalition View Post
    I really like the layout you've settled on. One suggestion for the hills would be to merely add some soft shadows in whatever shape you'd like to convey elevation. Similar to what you did in the last post, but a little darker, thicker, and random(er).
    Thanks. I'm not quite sure why I'm having so much trouble with a HILL...It's just giving me fits But I'll try your suggestion. One final update for today (I think). I've started to "populate" the castle. If you know me (or follow my work) you know I have a terrible grasp of scale. I try and try and never quite get it. I'm going for a fairly large space here so all the objects need to be small. I think this is pretty close but we'll see.... As always feedback is requested and appreciated

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wolf's Fall Castle.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	3.31 MB 
ID:	49409
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I have to second anomiecoalition, the layout you settled on looks very convincing, I like it. The whole project seems very interesting. I like the bits of "in character" text you put into some of your posts. It really gives you the idea what the setting is like. I always love to hear the backstory of the maps people are making. What bothers me on your map are the shadows. The castle looks as if the source of light were on each side of it... Are the shadows just a placeholder, or is there some other explanation?

Looking good JTougas, but you have the shadows from the turrets going in 4 different directions, they should all point the same way.

Just realized that you replaced the NE tower with the keep (which looks great). But now, the fort is vulnerable on that side. Any though to creating a smaller tower in that corner that is part of keep (so its a little smaller than the others, but also at a higher elevation?) Might make strategic sense and be artistically pleasing?

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

Wip

Chief architect Maran Lolln was nearly trampled by a pair of donkeys straining to pull the weight of a wagon loaded with supplies. He jumped out of the way and took a observation position just under the overhanging roof of the stables. The upper courtyard of the castle was a bustling mass of people and animals as war horses were led into the stables and draft horses and stubborn donkeys pulled wagons groaning under the weight of supplies of all manner. Soldiers moved to and from and a steady stream of them were entering the keep to ready the barracks. Smoke rose from the smithy as well as the kitchens and already the smells were beginning to intermingle. Lolln caught a glimpse of the Lord General, the castles ruler and ranking soldier. He had taken a position atop the bailey wall and was watching it all with a hawk's eye. His wife and two children would arrive in a few days and Lolln was sure he wanted the castle ready when they did. Lolln would officially hand over the castle to the Lord General during a ceremony scheduled to happen in a week. His next assignment was the design and construction of FarMere Castle the next in the Wolf's Fall Line. He found himself looking forward to winter......

Quote Originally Posted by Lyandra View Post
    I have to second anomiecoalition, the layout you settled on looks very convincing, I like it. The whole project seems very interesting. I like the bits of "in character" text you put into some of your posts. It really gives you the idea what the setting is like. I always love to hear the backstory of the maps people are making. What bothers me on your map are the shadows. The castle looks as if the source of light were on each side of it... Are the shadows just a placeholder, or is there some other explanation?
    Thanks for the kind words. I always try to map a "story" and in this case the story is very important. Thanks for the feedback about the shadows they were just an experiment that I actually forgot about until someone mentioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Looking good JTougas, but you have the shadows from the turrets going in 4 different directions, they should all point the same way.
    Thanks Bogie. I Think I have the shadows sorted now

Just realized that you replaced the NE tower with the keep (which looks great). But now, the fort is vulnerable on that side. Any though to creating a smaller tower in that corner that is part of keep (so its a little smaller than the others, but also at a higher elevation?) Might make strategic sense and be artistically pleasing?
    Another good idea. I followed your suggestion and actually added 2 more towers (I just liked the look of it) Thanks for all your feedback

Today's update: More detailing and fixing of errant shadows I also followed anomiecoalition's suggestion about adding a tower to the keep. I like the way they turned out. I also adjusted the scale on all the objects (they were all too big). As you can see I tried again with the hill. I've lost all my objectivity with that damn hill so I'll need some feedback to let me know if I'm heading in the right direction or not.

Views:	246 
Size:	3.46 MB 
ID:	49438
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Awesome...the only thing I might suggest is to soften/blur the shadow on the towers...aside from that, I would probably label this thing done.

Blog Entries

Wip

The "handing over" ceremony had been completed and the Lord General and his family along with two hundred soldiers and support staff were now the first inhabitants of what was being called "Wolves Fall Castle" Chief Architect Lolln felt a sense of pride as he rode away from the castle back down the long road to Riverhewn.....

Awesome...the only thing I might suggest is to soften/blur the shadow on the towers...aside from that, I would probably label this thing done.
    Thanks and I wasn't sure if the shadows were "too much" or not they did seem a little "regular" I blurred them and lowered the opacity a bit. Thanks so much for all your feedback during this project.

I'd like to present the "completed to the best of my current knowledge and skill" version of Wolves Fall Castle. I really want to thank Jacktannery for all the inspiration and the great elements that he created for me to steal and re-work. Thanks to everyone that offered comments and feedback and please keep it coming. *EDIT* I decided to remove the grid. Making it fit would have meant making tiny specks of all the objects and I didn't want to do that. My old nemesis.....SCALE...

Object Credits
    Original Tower Roofs: Kergon Dundjinni
    Reworked Tower Roofs: (modified by me) Jacktannery
    Original Wall Segments: Jacktannery
    Well: Aegean Greytales Nook
    Horses: Alynnalizza Dundjinni
    Anvils: Alynnalizza Greytales Nook
    Tubs: Greytale Greytales Nook

Views:	533 
Size:	3.75 MB 
ID:	49445
    Last edited by jtougas; 10-27-2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Updated Image

Finished Maps

Labeled the castle looks really great. Is it located within the forest (it looks as if it is)? I like that you've added those two additional towers. They make sense. There are some artifacts from pasting them in though ("shadows/glows" end in a straight line). You should get rid of those before calling it done...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyandra View Post
    Labeled the castle looks really great. Is it located within the forest (it looks as if it is)? I like that you've added those two additional towers. They make sense. There are some artifacts from pasting them in though ("shadows/glows" end in a straight line). You should get rid of those before calling it done...
    Thanks. Most of the Kingdom of Shendenflar is covered in if not forests proper then large stands of trees. I really just added the trees here to break up the large expanse of grass. They might not be 100% "geographically" accurate to my Regional map... As for the shadows I was trying a "2-stage" shadow effect with one darker for the keep walls (which are higher than the castle walls) and one lighter for the new keep towers and castle walls. I guess I wasn't as successful as I hoped to be. That's why I never call a map "finished" Thanks for all your feedback it has been very helpful

Finished Maps

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast