Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Galastan - hand-drawn city on a mountain

Guild Adept

These are probably the best city map around. However, I have an unfulfilled dream, which would be to see the technique applied to proper "cities" (this, as well as Val Nevan, is more of a town). Surely, it would be an incredible amount of work to do a big city in this way, but the result would be astounding!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feanaaro View Post
    These are probably the best city map around. However, I have an unfulfilled dream, which would be to see the technique applied to proper "cities" (this, as well as Val Nevan, is more of a town). Surely, it would be an incredible amount of work to do a big city in this way, but the result would be astounding!
    Eeeexcelent... i concur!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feanaaro View Post
    However, I have an unfulfilled dream, which would be to see the technique applied to proper "cities" (this, as well as Val Nevan, is more of a town). Surely, it would be an incredible amount of work to do a big city in this way, but the result would be astounding!
    I know, right! These are essentialy 'practice' maps for when I do the capital of the country my previous two cities are in. But the prospect of all that work ... I'll need to buy bigger paper

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    You're looking for a handwriting one right? around which century style?
    Not sure, I'll know it when I see it. 15th-16 century cursives are nice, expecially the English ones. But it'd be nice to have a good number of all kinds of old fonts.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd Drwg View Post
    I know, right! These are essentialy 'practice' maps for when I do the capital of the country my previous two cities are in. But the prospect of all that work ... I'll need to buy bigger paper
    you could always draw them on multiple papers of the same size you've been using and then stitch them together after scanning (you'll have a problem scanning them anyway if you use much bigger paper

Hmm, I've thought of that, but I think drawing a large map on several loose sheets of paper will make it very hard to get everything to line up. Not that it's always very easy with two scans of an A3 sheet, but with some fiddling I usually get it done. A2 should be possible: four scans, one for each corner.

Actually, you can get over sized scans done at Konkos. I've used them for scans when I used to do single large maps. Konko's can scan up to 600 dpi in color. That's what is available in San Francisco. I've always had trouble stitching images back together digitally. I've done it once where the map came out looking good at a distance, but close it looked like Frankenstein monster. Konkos charges per square foot, but it's worth it. Some places will really make sure it comes out good. Personally I would look for an copy store or some kind of print shop to scan your work in. If one place can't do it, they often know of a place that have a scanner big enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd Drwg View Post

Anyways, it's done! I decided against colouring it, in the end. It didn't work. I think that's because the walls are the most common element in the drawing (as opposed to the red roofs and green fields in Val Nevan) and the yellow/grey makes the map look kind of boring and drab. I might one day find a better way of colouring it, but I'm calling it a day now.

Attachment 52909
    This is exactly what i was talking about from the very beginning. Uncolouring it - was the best thing you could do. Truly simple but still magnificent effect.

Respects.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected dasneviano's Avatar

Oh man, I was really looking forward for the coloured version!
    But it does look great as it is, and you have your reasons!
    Congratulations and I can't wait to see more of your work!

Now if you could do a tutorial, it would be terrific ! the pointers you've given in this thread are very helpful, but I have difficulties with the isometric construction, especially the basics (and my dream would be to make something less "straight"). Or do you have some quick tips/links ?

Hmm, I don't know if I have the time to do a tutorial. But if you could be a bit more specific, I might be able to help (because I'm not quite sure what you mean with 'the basics' and 'less straight')

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast