Thread: Canyons on maps

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Help Canyons on maps

I'm working on a map that has a canyon in it. What is a good way to make a canyon that looks good? The programs that I currently have access to are: Gimp, Inkscape, CS5 suite, CS6 suite, and any other free programs.

What scale? A canyon would likely show differently on a continental-scale map than a local-scale map. What style? A canyon on a contour map is much different than it would appear on a physiographic map. How large is the canyon? The Grand Canyon of the Colorado will probably look different than Bryce Canyon, which would again look very different than a slot canyon. A steep-sided canyon would be drawn differently than one with more gently sloping walls or with a vertical cliff face on one side.

Context is very important for mapmaking.

not sure if you plan on drawing canyon symbols yourself, in that case you may check: http://www.cartographersguild.com/ho...s-valleys.html. cheers, DJ

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Its more of a local scale map showing about three different countries. the style I am currently using is the ones used in fantasy books (not sure what they are called). Its about half the Size of the Grand Canyon and the same type of canyon as well.
    Last edited by jree101; 10-16-2012 at 03:06 AM.