Thread: Dragon-Home, A Work In Progress

Default Dragon-Home, A Work In Progress

I'm currently trying to design a world map for my RPG games, with the size of the planet being about 250 kilometers per degree, so roughly 5 times the surface area of the Earth.
    The reason for the size is a general scope and layout of the planet combined with it being an easy number to deal with.
    Thus far, I have my hand-drawn copy that I had digitized.
    My next step will be to vector-draw the planet, piece by piece, and then expand and detail each area.

Here is the whole map, linked to a slightly larger version.

There is another version of the map stored HERE, but putting it in the post would run the post over the 20,000 character limit, as it's 192 images linked to another set of 192 images to make a collage that can be zoomed in on.
    I liked the idea and haven't taken the time to get a firm grasp on HTML or BBcode to do anything fancier.

On a side note, I'd like to know how Randall Munroe set this XKCD comic up, as it could be an interesting way of doing maps.

Blog Entries

Hi Ker'ion, just so you know, I make an app which does the zoom and pan for large collections of tiles - see sig. Its a VTT (virtual table top) style app so its not web browser based but for other users of the same app they can get the map transferred across the net. It does have a web interface to it so you can get at bits of it but thats more klunky.

We have what we call the CWBP here - the community world building project - which is where members here can map bits of a common world map in various styles. So a demo of the app running that is here.

There was a zoomable version of Randalls map here - XKCD 1110 in a zoomable version - visualization created by dividuum or here Map of xkcd #1110

You can use GeoServer or something like WorldWind to do it too but in all of the solutions I have seen they all use a static set of backdrop images to do the map which is different to my app. So if you change the map then you need a complete set to redo the map again. Ok for hosting with occasional updates but no good for something more dynamic.

Anyway - hope thats useful.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 10-17-2012 at 07:38 AM.

Thank you, Redrobes and I will take a look at those links tonight or as time permits, but they'll receive a priority.

I'm currently using MS Viseo to vector-draw the entire map, mainly because it's what I have access to.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

I don't know anything about MS Viseo, but a good free vector program is Inkscape, if you're looking for something else. I really cant wait to see this vectorized!
    This cavern is below all, and is the foe of all. It is hatred, without exception. This cavern knows no philosophers; its dagger has never cut a pen. Its blackness has no connection with the sublime blackness of the inkstand. Never have the fingers of night which contract beneath this stifling ceiling, turned the leaves of a book nor unfolded a newspaper.

MS Viseo is an autoCAD style technical design program.
    Not exactly art quality, but great for the part of my life where I get paid.

On the eastern side of the world, situated in the soon to be labeled Sea of Tears between Kern and Talfus, lies the lost island nation of Tarsil.
    Here's my map so far.

It was created with a combination of Photoshop and MS Paint.
    Last edited by Ker'ion; 11-11-2012 at 03:42 AM.