Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wasted West

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default Wasted West

Here's a detail of the Wasted West from the world of Midgard, that was released in a free preview today: Free Midgard Preview: New Huginn PC Race, Fiction by Jeff Grubb / Kobold Quarterly

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WWDWebRes.png 
Views:	1589 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	49175

Make sure to check out the free preview above. It's free!

© Kobold Press, 2012, used with permission.

This is fantastic. The symbols really add personality to the regions as well. Great job.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

nice one again, and I actually love the more washed coloring than you usual use. cheers, DJ

As usual a great map!
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Guild Journeyer

Really nice! Too bad it's small, couldn't see much details...

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Thanks guys. Depassage - that's the price of showing commissioned work unfortunately.

Here's a close up of a section to give you a little more of the detail:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WastedWestSnippet.png 
Views:	287 
Size:	552.0 KB 
ID:	49181

Djekspek - thanks. It was an interesting challenge for this commission that lasted for over a year, to have a consistent look and feel throughout. This is probably the most different of all the pieces, but it's so clearly a different format to the other maps that I could get away with it.

Guild Journeyer

Thanks for sharing some details. I fully understand copyrighted material issues.

I was expecting a Deadlands map when I clicked the link!

I love the detail in the close up and the linework is beautiful as always.

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Beautiful mountains - but terrible mountain ranges, for the most part.

The map key is wonderful! It truly is.

The map displays no real appreciation for water, nor for the role of water in this land, it seems.

I like the forests - I think. You need to post a larger image, to facilitate others looking at it and critiquing it for you.

The color scheme is beautiful. I have mixed feelings about the icons on the map.

Overall, the map looks cluttered. It's a beautiful map, color-wise, but it comes across as terribly cluttered. I love the forests. My eye keeps getting drawn back to them. Beautiful shade of green that you went with for the forests, and a lovely little style that you use with drawing them.

The outer edge of the map is a good concept, but poor implementation of the frayed look. Too many cuts in the edge, and they seem to be spaced pretty regularly. Inconsistency in the edge gaps would be better, I think. They look too planned, here.

I don't like the little black location squares.

Your use of text on the map is done in a way that detracts from the overall beauty of the map. On the artistic standpoint, you possess a certain mastery. On the text placement, it is rather amateurish, by comparison. The standard fare straight text on the left side in several instances makes for the worst offenders on the human eye. On the right hand side, you made better use of text curves. Overall, you don't make any real use of text that follows terrain across a vast distance. The Field of Doors is probably the single best example of this concept confined to a rather limited area. Your failure to do it ultimately makes the map seem to cover a smaller area than my mind seems to want to come to grips with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast