Thread: Al-Qadim ("Palace of the Twisted King" - Random Desert Encounter)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Al-Qadim ("Palace of the Twisted King" - Random Desert Encounter)

Hey all...Since my PCs are frequently roaming about the desert, I thought it would be cool to have some more complex random encounters for them while their making their way from city to city. I stumbled upon side-quest type encounter in Dungeon Magazine ("Palace of the Twisted King") that seemed to suit this purpose.

The plan is that they would seek shelter from a vicious sand storm in this ruined way station. However, the real terror for them begins that night as a group of "Meenlocks" torment them from their secret basement tunnels (I'll start working on that map next).

I made it with CC3 and the few objects in there are from the CSUAC. Comments, Criticisms, and Suggestions are welcomed. I'm still not 100% on the ruined walls - I was really having trouble conveying the crumbling of the walls (in retrospect, I wonder if I may have been better off trying to make this map in Photoshop).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Abandoned Way Station - test.JPG 
Views:	1287 
Size:	857.7 KB 
ID:	49267
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

wow that really looks great. I think the walls look fine the way they are.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I think its really good, and I like your walls.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

This looks great... Especially considering how simple the content actually is, it's not easy for pretty to shine through, and yet, you pulled it off...

I agree that the walls actually look nice... In fact, I am quite jealous of you. All these textures look great!

And the half buried objects are a really nice touch too...

Thanks for all the comments. Here is the tunnel system that runs below the ruins. Its a very tight tunnel (only a couple feet wide and tall) and at the end is a cave where the Meenlocks dwell when they aren't torturing unsuspecting passersby.

Name:	Meenlock Tunnels.JPG 
Views:	1891 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	49293

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it (and finally came up with a method for making cave walls in CC3)...having said that, comments, criticisms, and suggestions are always welcome! (I've also included a version with both put together - so you can more easily see where the secret entrances to the tunnels are in the way station.)

Name:	Combined Map.jpg 
Views:	525 
Size:	3.47 MB 
ID:	49294
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.