Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trinity - An Abandoned Comission

Map Trinity - An Abandoned Comission

Some time ago I was commissioned to create this Eriond-style map for a small independent RPG. I had gotten fairly far along in the creation process when, inexplicably, I lost contact with my client (who up to that point had been very diligent about keeping in touch). I've tried contacting the client on a couple of occasions, but it's been months since I've heard anything from him. Enough time has passed for me to seriously doubt that this will actually be completed (let alone published), so I thought I'd at least display it here.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trinity Display.jpg 
Views:	1111 
Size:	4.69 MB 
ID:	49268  

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A lost client and a beautiful map. I say it's their loss and our gain that we got to see it.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Very nice work.

How did you do that cut into stone effect on the polar projections?
    (Is it in one of your tutorials?)

Thanks JT and Atpollard. Atpollard, to answer your questions in reverse order: no, I haven't discussed this method in any of my tutorials. The hewn-stone-inlay effect was really just a matter of applying a low opacity (35%) pattern overlay (a sort of gravel pattern) to the polar projections and other text and symbols, and then adding several applications of Bevel & Emboss (Inner Bevel, Direction Down), each at different sizes. Then I just turned the original polar projection layer as well as the text and symbol layers invisible and voila. Nothing to technical.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Very sweet. Too bad for them, maybe they will come by, see it and give you a call.

I am curious though, did you rename it or was that the original commission name? The reason I ask is because I've got one of these died on the vine type of maps myself from way back.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks Jax. The client chose the name. However they were planning on changing it to something else because apparently White Wolf published a game by the same name some time ago. But that was the last I heard.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Hey arsheesh hope you got paid for what time you had in this

Beautiful map. I really like the "cut in stone" effect you applied to letters and projections. The whole map looks very majestic because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellum View Post
    Hey arsheesh hope you got paid for what time you had in this
    Thanks Vellum, I did receive a portion of the commission rate already (which is another reason why I find it odd that I haven't heard back from my client).

Quote Originally Posted by Lyandra View Post
    Beautiful map. I really like the "cut in stone" effect you applied to letters and projections. The whole map looks very majestic because of it.
    Thank you Lyandra. I had been toying around with this idea for a while, and honestly the hardest part was finding a decent background pattern. Most decent patterns I've seen are much too small for the Commission size (which was actually twice the size of the map that I've uploaded). The actual "chiseled-relief" effect was really just a few judicious applications of Bevel & Emboss (Inner Bevel, Down, set to different depths) and a pattern overlay set to low oppacity.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Apprentice

Wow this is great!! Nice map!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast