Thread: Forgotten Mars

Guild Apprentice

Help Forgotten Mars

I am trying to start a web-project called forgotten mars. It is supposed to be a webcomic, I am having a hard time finding an artist, and learning how to have a website. I have a lot of financial difficulties in my life that I really dont want to talk about and I am trying to have a creative outlet.

Right now it is just me and a buddy building the world the comic is supposed to take place in . . . It takes place on mars 45,000 years ago, it is a medeval variation on the world, kinda like sinbad meets assassins creed. There is no magic (there are of course fantastic creatures, but nothing to unreal), but there is also no supertechnology . . . Just the ancient world of mars, with a single species (with racial variations). . .

It is kinda like . . . it is supposed to bekind of like a historical drama on another world, with no human or alien influences . . . I am making it more confusing than it should be. Anyways I have been trying to create the map of the world to try and figure it out . . . but I am not very good at this.

It looks extremely cluttered, the geography is broken . . . there is almost no discerning between the environments. I would like that someone revamp the map I am creating . . . maybe not recreate it . . . but just help me out. I cannot afford to pay anyone :'( money is non-existent right now.

this is what I got so far.

forgotten mars by ~Motion-Music on deviantART

Guild Apprentice

I am learning with GIMP but what I am learning and what I am good at doesnt seem suitable for the mars map I want to create. It is more suitable for my other projects . . .

so I still need help with this

Ralok, the artist you wind up collaborating with will set the aesthetic of your site and your stories. The map ought to mesh with that, so without seeing even a sample of your "look" it'll be hard to match. I understand it's a chicken and egg thing - if you had a marveloussp in hand, it could help you draw the right artist.

With all the elements you lack, do you at least have stories? Even snippets might clue us in enough to entice interest.

You say your efforts thus far don't match your Martian vision - mind showing us what you've started, even as negative examples? We might be able to help you achieve a look you'll be satisfied with.

I agree with jbgibson that it would be really helpful to have a bit more idea what you're looking for - even just examples of maps whose style you like or want emulated would help guide the project. Hearing/reading some of the stories, or seeing what you've got for the webcomic site could also help.

I did post to your previous request - even threw together a quick-and-dirty map sample (which admittedly could use a lot of work/refinement). Of course, if you're looking for a full-blown webcomic artist and/or web designer, I'm probably not your guy, as my artistic endeavors are mostly limited to cartography. (I suppose I could emulate xkcd's artistic style - but if that's what you're looking for, I imagine you could probably manage it yourself)

Guild Apprentice

No I got the artist, and am looking for a web designer elsewhere . . . I am just looking for someone to do the map.

The style shouldny be to different from a medieval or archaic map. I referenced assassins creed, gladiator, and troy when making the universe. It is a historical drama set on a different planet. Somehwat like Edgar Rice Burroughs mars but with less fantastic elements, and the planet isnt a desert.

Tehre are forests, grassy plains, arctic areas, tundra, jungles, swamps. . . .

In my map that I made black represents a forested area, as the larger plant-life has black leaves, and the smaller plant-life has yellow leaves. Red is supposed to be desert but I couldnt figure it out - _ -

I have a reidculous amount of concept work for this proejct, I ahve a cooncept artist seperate from the person doing the actual pages.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...-ethnicity.jpg

these are the native martians

this piece of concept work might provide soem flavor for the world as well

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...k_one/des3.jpg
    Last edited by Ralok; 10-28-2012 at 12:29 AM.

Guild Apprentice

stiiiiilll need a map