Thread: The Darkness Falls: The Fall of the Kingdom of Shendenflar (collection)

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Map The Darkness Falls: The Fall of the Kingdom of Shendenflar (collection)

This thread will hold the maps that I "complete" for my new project: The Darkness Falls. Here is the first of these maps featuring a regional overview of the Kingdom of Shendenflar. It was created with GIMP

WIP THREAD

ALL images and text in this thread are subject to THIS license
    Name:  cc lisc.png
Views: 1083
Size:  5.2 KB
    Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs
    CC BY-NC-ND

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Shendenflar.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	3.34 MB 
ID:	49287
    Last edited by jtougas; 10-28-2012 at 01:02 AM.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I really like the map. A scale would be useful though, the marked structures look really big to me... How big an area does the Shendenflar Kingdom occupy?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyandra View Post
    I really like the map. A scale would be useful though, the marked structures look really big to me... How big an area does the Shendenflar Kingdom occupy?
    Ah yes... Scale... I for some reason am really bad when it comes to scale. I know how big the kingdom is it's 270 miles East to West and 285 miles North to South. (The kingdom does not claim the Burneal Forest as part of it's lands) I think my problem with scale is that I see what I want others to see in my head and then when I'm done it ends up all "wonky" scale wise. Riverhewn is a very large city (for now) that is home to about 75,000 people. Stormhaven is the second largest city home to about 25-30 thousand. The smaller towns are home to anywhere between 50-200 people with Northrun and Southrun being the most populace of the small towns.
    Last edited by jtougas; 10-28-2012 at 12:46 AM.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Thanks for the answer, it makes it easier for me to imagine how big an area you've mapped now. Truth be told I am awful at scale too... In all sorts of ways. It's one of the many things I am currently working on regarding my mapping endeavours.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyandra View Post
    Thanks for the answer, it makes it easier for me to imagine how big an area you've mapped now. Truth be told I am awful at scale too... In all sorts of ways. It's one of the many things I am currently working on regarding my mapping endeavours.
    Your welcome. I always seem to be too busy finding the "story" in a map to worry about things like scale. I really need to work on that. In this case I just wanted to show the cities and towns without using some sort of symbol.

Finished Maps

That is what I actually really like about this map. That instead of using symbols you depicted each feature as if seen from above...

Blog Entries

Map Wolves Fall Castle

Here is the second map "completed" for this project. This map depicts one of the 6 castles that make up the Wolves Fall Line on the Eastern Border of the kingdom. It was made in GIMP with much help from the community. Thanks so much everyone for helping me make this the best it could be

WIP THREAD

Object Credits:
    Horses Alynnalizza Dundjinni
    Anvils Alynnalizza Greytales Nook
    Quenching Tubs Greytale Greytales Nook
    Original Wall Segments Jacktannery
    Original Tower Roofs Kergon Dundjinni
    Reworked Tower Roofs Jacktannery
    Wells Aegean Greytales Nook
    Wagons Heruca Dundjinni
    Crates Greytale Greytales Nook
    Slate Roof Textures Aegean Greytales Nook

Name:	New Wolves Fall Castle.jpg 
Views:	519 
Size:	4.15 MB 
ID:	49692
    Last edited by jtougas; 11-06-2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Updated Image

Finished Maps

Excellent work JT, a very fine map indeed.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Blog Entries

Map Watch Wizards Apartment

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Excellent work JT, a very fine map indeed.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks !!

Here is the first map of the "inside" of the Wolves Fall Castle. This map depicts the Watch Wizards Apartment. As with all my maps it was made in GIMP.

Object Credits
    Books: Greytale Greytales Nook
    Books: Kepli Dundjinni
    Quill & Inkpot: Targeteron Dundjinni
    Scrolls & Spellbook: katmagli Dundjinni
    Firewood: Mark Oliva RPG Mapshare

Name:	Watch Wizard Apartment No Rafters Final.jpg 
Views:	1100 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	49794

Finished Maps