Thread: Just Getting Started

Guild Apprentice

Help Just Getting Started

hello . . . I am Ralok . . .

I am new to this whole thing . . . how to I get started?

Guild Apprentice

this is all very confusing to me.

Welcome Radok and Xardyon. Xarydon, not sure exactly what you attempting to do. Are you attempting upload images that you want to display? Are you trying to learn how to create digital maps? Or are you asking a more general question about how to become more involved within the Guild? Radok, I presume you are more interested in learning how to create maps. I'll explain below.

If you want to upload images then just click on the "Insert Image" button located in the Quick Reply screen. This will allow you to upload images directly from your computer.

If you want to learn how to create digital maps then you will need to (a) pick the tools that you will be using (of which there are several to choose from), and (b) try out some tutorials that will help you to learn how to use these tools. A good place to begin is by reading Ravell's Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping. It provides a brief explanation of some of the different kinds of mapping tools and how they differ, and has links to some good tutorials. You might also want to check out the New to Digital Cartography thread where Guild members explain the various kinds of software out there and their relative strengths and weaknesses. My own suggestion would be to start with GIMP which is free to download, just Google it (or, if already you own Photoshop, start with that). GIMP and Photoshop are both fairly powerful raster based kinds of software that will allow you to create maps in a multitude of styles. Also, many of the Tutorials here are written for GIMP and Photoshop. Next, check out the Tutorials section. You can use the advanced search engine to refine your search for tutorials that are written for GIMP or PS. Browse through the various styles of maps, find a few that you like and, once you've downloaded GIMP (or PS), start working your way through them. It's best to post a WIP map in the appropriate section so that people can offer advice and feedback early on as you start working on your map.

As to getting involved, well, the best way is to begin working on a map and asking for feedback. Then check out what others are doing and provide feedback to them as well (even if it's just praise). Get involved in some of the discussions that happen here.

Anyway, good luck to you both, and if you have "specific" questions, feel free to post them in the "How do I???" sub-section.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh