Thread: Another Voice On The Wind

Default Another Voice On The Wind

Hello, cartographers.

My name is James, though I tend to respond to Ker'ion, especially as there are many thousands of people wandering this planet with the same given name.

In matters of cartography, I'm a beginner, slightly above novice. As far as using imaging software, I tend to have little need for it in most aspects, thus with limited spare time, I rarely use my copy of Photoshop 7 that collects dust outside of the computer and would do so on the hard drive, were that possible. Oddly enough, I tend to use MS Paint for most of my (very) limited graphics needs.

In the professional side of my life, I design technical layouts for shipping aircraft parts. I tell my friends that all I do is draw on a computer & play with laser cutters all day long, which is an oversimplification. As a hobby, I run roleplaying games and create technical designs I don't have the money to build and test.

As far as maps go, I'm currently working on one right now, attempting to transfer it from a hand-drawn map to something digital and decent looking. It has been digitized, but...
    well, here's a link to it:
    |Map of Dragon-Home|
    It's still pretty ugly looking.

I hope to learn more tricks of the trade, flesh the map out over time, and see if I can turn it into an actual interactive 3D globe once I get my computer upgraded past barely being able to run Team Fortress 2.

Oh, and personality-wise, I tend to be easy going, try to use logic to minimize most potential for arguments, and have an abstract train of thought (it may appear to derail at times, but this is probably not true)
    Last edited by Ker'ion; 10-14-2012 at 04:42 AM.

Hi there James, welcome to the Guild! I followed the link but the image did not display correctly for some reason. This is a great place to learn more about the digital side of map creation. Thee are tons of PS tutorials on map creation here, and it would be worth your time to have a browse around. Look forward to seeing your work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Hmm...
    It displays correctly for me, but my monitor is set at 1366x768.
    I've heard others having issues as well.
    Maybe I should shrink the sample pictures a bit to make them fit a 1024 screen.

It's basically a collage of 192 little pictures, each linked to a larger version of their portion of the map.
    Photobucket has limits on the size of each photo, so I sliced it up, as the original is 21,600 x 11,148 pixels.
    Last edited by Ker'ion; 10-16-2012 at 04:39 AM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome !! That is an impressive map. I love hand drawn maps (as that's where I got my start a hundred years ago ) I'm going to give you some rep
    Last edited by jtougas; 10-22-2012 at 11:22 AM.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I'm still trying to vector map the thing, but it's slow going.
    One piece at a time.

And thanks, jtougas.