View Poll Results: Create a map of a terraformed/flooded Mars?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 75.00%
  • No

2 25.00%

Thread: Create a map of a terraformed/flooded Mars.

Default Create a map of a terraformed/flooded Mars.

I got the idea from this site;
    Modified Mars

A specific sea level for everyone to work with (land/see mask) would be the only constraint. Set it at any time (in the future) or tech level. Have it populated or not. Maybe even allow regional maps as well as planetary.

I could have a field day with this

The year was 2000. The product was Fractal Terrains version 1. The results were http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/mars/index.html (the tools are a little better these days; maybe I ought to update something...)

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thurlor View Post
    I got the idea from this site;
    Modified Mars

A specific sea level for everyone to work with (land/see mask) would be the only constraint. Set it at any time (in the future) or tech level. Have it populated or not. Maybe even allow regional maps as well as planetary.
    yes on everything apart from setting it in the future - why not the past too?

Can it just be "Mars" or "Martian settlement" [past, future, alien, terraformed human, flooded, etc]"?

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Modified Mars is beautiful, but in the end I am not really certain you can do that much with this topic unless we open it up a little further... Otherwise you are just saying "here's an arbitrary heightfield, add water, take your favorite style and GO!"

Also, and I am too lazy to check myself, I'd be really surprised if we didn't have a Martian contest in the past.

Not voting "no" just yet, though!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    Modified Mars is beautiful, but in the end I am not really certain you can do that much with this topic unless we open it up a little further... Otherwise you are just saying "here's an arbitrary heightfield, add water, take your favorite style and GO!"

Also, and I am too lazy to check myself, I'd be really surprised if we didn't have a Martian contest in the past.

Not voting "no" just yet, though!
    I have to disagree strongly here. Real cartography is about presenting the data you have, and there is plenty of room for creativity and skill. Beyond that, even if the hypsography of Mars is fixed, there is still loads of other stuff that is wide open. To be honest, I think a challenge that completely defines the features, theme, etc would be interesting as it would give people an idea of what it's like to make a real map. The challenge would be to present the given information as clearly and attractively as possible.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fair enough but I think that's what I was trying to say - we need to do something more with the challenge than just map a coastline. Actually offering pre-defined data would be very interesting, it's probably a lot of work to set up tho.