Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The City of Dadal Borovo

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected dasneviano's Avatar

Wip The City of Dadal Borovo

Hi guys! I started a new map yesterday. It's an important city on my universe, the capital of an old, declining empire. It started out as a quick sketch so I know my way around the city when writing about it, but I got carried away as usual, and now I'm not so sure about which style to pursue: to keep the sketchy look or to go for a more realistic one? Opinions?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dabo1.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	453.7 KB 
ID:	49318Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dabo2.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	464.2 KB 
ID:	49319Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dabo3.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	711.5 KB 
ID:	49320

Looks like a very ambitious project. I really like the layout of the city. As to the style... I would love to see a realistic version of this map but I like the "sketchy" style too... Guess that wasn't too helpful.

Thanks Lyandra!
    Here's a sketch I made of more or less how I imagine to city to look like:

Name:	dadalborovo.jpeg 
Views:	365 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	49415

Quote Originally Posted by dasneviano View Post
    Thanks Lyandra!
    Here's a sketch I made of more or less how I imagine to city to look like:

Name:	dadalborovo.jpeg 
Views:	365 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	49415
    It is Awesome !!

That three dimensional sketch map is fantastic, I'm surprised you need another map of the city although if you need a streetplan and such, I can see why.

I'm with Larb - the 3d version is superior! Okay, a street map has a different purpose. If you need one, I like the simple network of red roads better than those with blocks of buildings. That one seems to show the layout better. Plus, the way the two with buildings are constructed, only the interior of blocks have buildings. That seems implausible... I would figure especially the districts up on the hillside would have some houses and shops on both sides of the uppermost and lowest roads.

Nice work, whether done or not. I hope you'll be entering some contests (well, not the ones I enter!).

Wow! That sketch is awesome! Although it looks to me more like a finished map than a sketch... Great work, I love three dimensional city maps. Guessing from the quality of that city view the top-down version of it will look as wonderful (or even better) when finished.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

I agree that the 'sketch' (seriously understated) is quite awesome in its own right, but I'm very curious to see the finished map. It looks very promising. Good luck!

Thanks a lot everyone, you guys are great!
    And jbgibson, you're right, I'll add some more random buildings along the roads. It came off that way because I had just finished painting the blocks using the road network as a mask.
    And about the "sketch", it's true I ended up spending more time in it than I intended. I'm glad you guys like it!

Here's the newest WIP.

Name:	dabo4.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	922.0 KB 
ID:	49461

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks great. The only thing I might suggest is changing the color of the city wall. It blends in with the buildings as it is now. I love the fields texture outside of the city.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast