Thread: *** October / November Lite Mapping Challenge: Draw a linear map ***

Default *** October / November Lite Mapping Challenge: Draw a linear map ***

Thanks to the slackness of a community leader who shall remain nameless (a.k.a. me) we are late on this month's challenge. So here it is:

This month's lite challenge is:

Draw a Linear Map. Your map can be of any genre or any scale.

'What is a linear map?' I hear some of you ask. Have a look here for an explanation. Entries will be closed on or about the 15th of November with voting to follow. Good luck everyone! As always it will be up to the voters to decide whether your map fits the spirit of the competition when casting their votes. As with last month, voters will be allowed to vote for any number of entries they wish.

Have fun and draw something cool!

I'm thinking of doing something historic like the Oregon Trail or a trip of the Voyageurs. My question is does it have to be a single path or can things branch into the main path or having several individual paths on the map...
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

I have seen linear railroad maps that show more than one branch ... if the paths converge or diverge more than once then distance could get tricky, but I am pretty sure that it can be done.

I know I've already started my entry but if anyone is looking for ideas to jump in here's a few:

El Camino de Santiago (Way of St. James located in Spain)
    Les Voyageurs (Fur Trading routes located in Canada)

I will add more if any come to mind.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

For those who want to see a historical example of a linear map, look up John Ogilby's road atlas of Britain from 1675. It's really interesting and is how I intend to do the "in character" road maps for my own world.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    For those who want to see a historical example of a linear map, look up John Ogilby's road atlas of Britain from 1675. It's really interesting and is how I intend to do the "in character" road maps for my own world.
    I also want to know this!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ogilby.jpg 
Views:	555 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	49422

I was curious as well and found this with a quick google search.

It reminds me of the old American Automobile Association 'TripTic' maps where page after page of just the route of your trip would flip over the ring binder at the top of the page.
    Very clever stuff ... REP to John Ogilby.
    Last edited by atpollard; 10-27-2012 at 12:59 PM.

"His Majesties' Cosmographer" indeed! What a great old TripTic! Also note the huge leeway one has with spelling, in replicating this kind of work - I gotta try some of this.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Oh phantastic, this looks nice

Blog Entries

Hmm, a conversation I had with a co-worker yesterday is making me think this could be done automatically inside GeoServer by taking a "pattern along path" transformation (What we were talking about) and inverting it.