Thread: The Island Kingdom of Nindol

Default The Island Kingdom of Nindol

I've been playing around with some new styles as of late and have started to like this one quite a bit. I did a few quick samples but couldn't tell if I'd like it on a larger scale so I finally decided to do a full blown map. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170103_154018.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	90751

I like the mountain chain that is simple and effective but I'd break it a little bit to get a more jagged look. The coast has a nice simple texture but I guess you could achieve a really good shade difference between land and sea by adding some more details. That, coupled with your wonderfully broken shore waves would really sell the sea/land difference. As it is, it works on the small link image, not so much on the large file. For me, the strings of islands that stretch the islands are a win and the forests are a really good style. Last thing, I really like the labeling. I'd say some shading would make it perfect.

A really good map and I encourage you to scan it, give it a little parchment background (not too dark) and add some shading to it and it would be perfect.

Very very good job !

EDIT : Aaand I'll come back to rep it

Thanks so much. Yea I plan on doing some more to it digitally down the road but my computer is being repaired right now. As for the additional coastline details, what exactly do you mean? I was worried more would be too much at that point.

Also, how could I shade this using only pen?

I was talking about the coastal details torstan uses in his tutorials at the end of the video. You can see some examples in Caenwyr's maps (masterfully executed). His Tentivu Tetrarchy is not finished yet but it's a masterpiece to be. I use the same technique, you can see what I mean here and here for a more pen and paper feel.

For shading, it's a tough question. You can use subtle hatching or add more details to the shaded sides of a mountain or a forest. For the land itself, it's really difficult and I can only think of copic pens like the ones Miska Fredman and Onez use.

So I've only currently got one shade of sketch marker but I tried to lay in some basic shadows this evening on another map. Is this basically what you were talking about?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YeNubT3.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	3.01 MB 
ID:	91148

Great work. Very clean hand drawn artwork

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

I absolutely love it! The shape is very natural, I love the forests, the mountains... Very good work!

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected DarkInfinity's Avatar

Very nice work. Being a pencil and paper guy myself, I like the hand drawn work. The shading on that second one looks good.
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." ~ Lao Tzu