"Ascension's Atlas Style in GIMP" has a fairly decent method for making mountains however it seems very random.
Following from Step 10-15 (the bottom of page 3 - top of page 5) you end up with very random objects that will become your mountains.
Here is my issue; I really like how the final product looks but the randomness annoys me.
This is where i stand as of now
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	helpexample1.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	49359

Consulting the second image i can explain what i want to have done;
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	helpexample2.jpg 
Views:	542 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	49360
Following from 1 along the line and arrow i want to construct a large mountain range extending just about the whole line.
Following from 2 (which is pointing to 2 mountains) i'd like to take them in or as in arrow 1 construct something more exact and less random.

I have spend nearly 2 hours randomly generating clouds and trying different filters but everything is random.
I did try and read through a few pages of threads before I put this post up but nothing seems to come close to getting me where i'd like to be.
I will admit that my eyes are nearly glazed over at this point, so if i'm missed a link i am very sorry.
I have been learning both GIMP and these guides on the fly over the past few hours so my knowledge and vocab on this subject is very limited.

Thanks again for any help.
PS; i think i messed up the attachments...