Thread: WIP - Caves of Chaos variation

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default WIP - Caves of Chaos variation

I've been a longtime lurker/dabbler, and this is my first effort that I've felt worthy to post.

The D&D Next Playtest got me thinking about CoC and KotB again. I was going to download a battlemap for Maptool, but couldn't find one that fit my needs. With a plethora of free time, and a battlemap tutorial from torstan, I started working on a Frankenstein-ian CoC hybrid from all the maps I could find.

The results, produced in Gimp, are below. Any feedback/suggestions would be appreciated - sometimes I wonder if I went too subtle with some effects. These are also significantly reduced from the original - I managed to keep it at 50px/inch (5' sq) for an 8000x8000 original - tried to go 100px, but my computer choked. I cut it to 1/4 size for web posting, but could probably host (on my own server) a full-res version if there's interest.

I'm particularly interested if anyone can point me at a good technique to do sloping corridors... I haven't found one yet, and I'm not really sure how I would do it...

I've still got lots to finish:
    • Stairs
    • Water
    • Valley greenery
    • Doors? (may leave that to the VTT)
    • Interior decorating
    • Level 3, KotB, Regional, and any other maps, assuming my free time and passion hold up

Also - I'm not 100% sure about the copyright implications of using map layouts (original B2 Keep on the Borderlands, Hackmaster's Little Keep on the Borderlands, and 0one's Caves of Chaos maps) as a basis for a mostly original work. I think it falls well within the derivative works clause of fair use, but if I'm wrong, feel free to delete this post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caves-of-chaos-l1-wip121025-sm.jpg 
Views:	1092 
Size:	862.1 KB 
ID:	49384   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caves-of-chaos-l2-wip121025-sm.jpg 
Views:	2087 
Size:	832.1 KB 
ID:	49385