Thread: October / November Lite Mapping Challenge: The Oregon Trail

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default October / November Lite Mapping Challenge: The Oregon Trail

Here's the start on my entry for this months Lite Challenge. Still trying to decide where all this is going...probably gonna focus on the geography around the path and not the rest of the space. Still leaves me with the dilemma of what to do with that negative space.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Oregon Trail.jpg 
Views:	508 
Size:	3.72 MB 
ID:	49388  
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Ideas are congealing here's my last update for the night. Gonna set this one with the Great Migration of 1843. Need to get my tablet dusted off and practice making some iso-mountain symbols.... And before anyone mentions it I know I'm gonna have a hell of a time labeling this one. It's gonna be a true test.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	The Oregon Trail2.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	3.73 MB 
ID:	49390  
    Cheers, Julien

All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Just a reminder that THIS is a 'Linear Map':
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tislington2.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	49396

of this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tisslington_trail.png 
Views:	223 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	49397

You want to be creating a 'Linear Map' (like the top image) of the Oregon Trail.

Default Re: October / November Lite Mapping Challenge: The Oregon Trail

I re-read the article and it explicitly list both images as independant from each other. Also it doesn't mention that the top is the only version. The criteria I see is that each destination point along the route has a distance attached to each point and a reference of direction to the next point.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm being defensive. If it has to be in a straight line it's too limiting and lacking appeal.
    Last edited by geamon; 10-26-2012 at 07:46 AM.
    Cheers, Julien

No problem.
    I was under the impression that mapping an irregular path, like a river, as a straight line is what a 'Linear Map' is all about.

I am definitely NOT a map expert, and I could very well be mistaken.
    In the end, the public makes the call and grants REP based upon the results.

Even if I am correct, I would still advise you to follow your heart. This whole Cartographers Guild thing, it seems to me, is more about passion and skill and learning new techniques than it is about definitions and rules.

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.
    Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
    "
    - Henry David Thoreau, "Walden" (1854)
    Last edited by atpollard; 10-26-2012 at 08:27 AM.

“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
    ― Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Decided to restart the map. Similar but decided to change the perspective and format slightly to be considered more of a linear map. Waiting until all the elements are down on the map before I add the Oregon Trail. Looking for input on the mountain style only point uncertainty this time around.

### LATEST WIP ###

Views:	300 
Size:	3.21 MB 
ID:	49529  
    Cheers, Julien

New update, a lot of experimenting. Things are shaping, but I'm not totally sold on some the elements....

### LATEST WIP ###

Views:	329 
Size:	3.84 MB 
ID:	49598  
    Last edited by geamon; 11-03-2012 at 12:35 AM.
    Cheers, Julien

I'm gonna have to put this project off. i got other pressing ideas and things on my plate. Good luck everyone else.
    Cheers, Julien

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear that. I was looking forward to seeing how this turned out.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.