Thread: Maze of Caves, Ambush Encounter Map

Default Maze of Caves, Ambush Encounter Map

Quick graphic style cavern map that I made for a game I am running.
    Including the tile-friendly scratch texture, and a few versions with different fills.
    Nothing too fancy here, but it is really easy (with digital tools) to put something like this together for quick encounter usage (vtt or printed out).

Hardest part is the linework and that is not really that hard to do at all if you keep it simple and don't try to render actual rocks too much.
    Masking the scratch texture was done with a simple soft brush, as was the color fill layers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crosshatch_96dpi.jpg 
Views:	3966 
Size:	545.7 KB 
ID:	49457 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cavernAmbush_blue.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	840.0 KB 
ID:	49458 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cavernAmbush_gray.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	707.0 KB 
ID:	49459 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cavernAmbush_bw.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	826.6 KB 
ID:	49460
    Last edited by CannonMagnet; 10-28-2012 at 01:42 AM. Reason: fix title

I really like these. The shades of blue are well chosen.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

These are great. You can never have too may dungeon/cavern sections. Have some rep for a great Job !!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Yeah, these turned out great. I tried something similar a while back, but I think yours turned out better.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks for the feedback.

My goal was to rapidly create a clear encounter map without trying to render a photo real cave system. For that, I think it worked out pretty well. If I toss out time wasted trying out other directions like realistic textured fills, I would say it took ~ an hour. A bit longer than I originally wanted to spend for a single encounter map, but not too much work. Making additional content using the style would definitely go faster.

A bit of self-eval: The open floors are pretty boring, not super happy with them. The caves could use some additional rubble or other line art to give a sense of what fills the open spaces... of course to do that would have added more time.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sometimes all you need is a map. a well drawn collection of information that allows you (and your players) to navigate from one end of something to another. I'd say you nailed it.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Very well done. All too often I see artist overdoing it. Too much can be distracting and is not worth the time.