Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Young Kingdoms

Post The Young Kingdoms

Picture 1 of 1 from Finished Projects: Rivervale

This is my first finished digital map, and I learned a lot during this process. I am done with this version and don't plan on re-visiting this map. I used Photoshop (CS-5) for the paper texture, and copied it into Illustrator (same version) to complete the map. I spent a lot of time trying to randomize the water, but it turned out looking very much a repeated pattern down the coast. My focus was to make a reproduction of a map from the time past where symbols were used to denote mountain and hill types by height. I have several maps that will be tied to the young kingdom project as well as city types, and looking forward to the journey. Please add your critiques, thank you.

Nice map.

There are a few things I would change with this style, but they are quite minor. The one thing you might want to change though - or at least consider for future maps - is the layout of you rivers. Take a look at the standard tutorial for more detailed explanations.

Also, I think you did a rather good work with the "water lines". I have been trying for ages to find ways to get these finer copperplate engraving lines right. There are a few good tuts on here for the heavier "woodcut" style lines, but nothing for these finer variant.

And finally... you don't happen to have a larger version of this map around?

Ha, I thought you made that map for THE Rivervale in Everquest. ^_^;

And that looks neat and nice.

Congrats for your first map, and This really looks great....

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I agree with Freodin, your rivers don't make a lot of sense. But other than that, this is a great looking map.

Freodin,

Thank you for reviewing and providing a critique. The rivers, yes I agree that they do not not follow any rule of science. My story line created the lake by a huge explosion during the civilization that preceded the young kingdoms. If I had known about this site I would have changed the story line. The explosion caused the natural springs to create the lake and the two rivers that disect the mid section of the water body. The rivers from the north and south section are brackish with their use being mostly transport.

I do not not have a larger copy of this map since my concept that this and the other maps would fall into the sections alloted for the world map that I will finish this project with. That draft is located with my other young kingdom files.

V/r

Rodan

Freodin,

What size were you looking for?

V/r

Rodan

Reverieweaver,

I have never played the game, and did my best to select a name that I thought wasn't being used with a copyright. Thanks most appreciated.

V/r

Rodan

Diamond,

Thank you, and coming from someone with five awards that means alot! I will do better.

V/r

Rodan

Rivers aside, from a merely aesthetic stnadpoint I think it is a lovely map; reminds me allot of some historical maps I've seen. Great job.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast