Thread: First Steps

Map First Steps

Hello guys!
    I'm somewhat new to this "digital cartography thing" and here is my first map using GIMP, please rate it, do the necessary critics and feel free to advise.

Hope you like it!

Firwin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mapa.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	49820

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome !! For a first effort it's not bad at all. I like the parchment texture and the brushes are very nice as well. If I can offer you one bit of feedback it is about your rivers. They all seem plausible but they are very wide. It looks as though you used an eraser brush to "cut" them in. That's a good technique but you could try varying the brush scale to get different size rivers. All in all a very good first effort. Keep up the good work and have some rep.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

First, its a pleasure to be among so skillfully (?) people!
    jtougas, thanks for your feedback, i guess my map looks better with your suggestions.

Here goes my second version. Its a remake of the first one and there is some different things, but the new one keeps the same path.
    (i'm sorry if my english looks weird or wrong sometimes, i'm still learning )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mapa 2.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	3.49 MB 
ID:	49849

Firwin
    Last edited by Firwin; 11-12-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Really nice start, good improvement on the rivers. enjoy

I do like the symbols, but your rivers seem a little implausible in terms of hydrodynamics and gravity fields. http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...ght-place.html may be of assistance.